Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Share |

Well Pump replacement- ripoff or not?

Here is a weird question about well pump replacement.
I would like to understand what is the opinion- was I ripped off or just overcharged.
Here are the facts.
I had kind of random loss of pressure lasting for 1-10 minutes.
I called a company that has worked on my well before.
The guy who came was not all that competent- he changed the connection box, which naturally did nothing. He asked for "backup" and the guy who came (and was competent) said it is the pump. This visit was 340 bucks.
I asked the first guy about the price and he said around 1500, not more than 3000. Silly me did not ask for written estimate. But they have worked before and changed the pump 3 years ago for 1500 so I was assuming there is nothing to worry about.
Next day a truck comes and they pull the pump, change it, all great... Until the bill came at 4344 dollars. Laber came to 1278 (part of the total 4344). So to have my well fixed- almost 4700 dollars.
Including 180 ft 12/2 wire at 531 dollars, Pentec 3/4 HP pump at 1035, electrical tape at 13 dollars, etc, etc. You get the idea. Everything was marked up by 3-5 times.
I confronted their supervisor and he declined that they ever worked on the house before or that they gave me estimate for "no more than 3000 dollars".
While the finished their job and everything seems OK so far, I have the feeling that was being not just overhcarged, but probably simply ripped off.
I do not want to be unfair to these people and this is why I want to get the opinion on people on the other side- do you think this is a fair price? Perhaps I do not understand everything that goes into this...

sakamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

You did not want an "estimate", you wanted a "contract" with a "not to exceed" price, or perhaps a "firm fixed price" contract. Getting expensive work done without a written contract is always dangerous, I am not sure what you can do about it now. For what it is worth, I had a well pump replaced about ten years ago. Cost me about $2000, 250 foot deep well. I do not know what current pricing would be.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
DIY staff

Wow,that is a scary number--last pump I had installed was 12 years back--$1500 as I recall--

No new wire or pipe was needed---180 feet deep--
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamba View Post
Here is a weird question about well pump replacement.
I would like to understand what is the opinion- was I ripped off or just overcharged.
Here are the facts.
I had kind of random loss of pressure lasting for 1-10 minutes.
I called a company that has worked on my well before.
The guy who came was not all that competent- he changed the connection box, which naturally did nothing. He asked for "backup" and the guy who came (and was competent) said it is the pump. This visit was 340 bucks.
I asked the first guy about the price and he said around 1500, not more than 3000. Silly me did not ask for written estimate. But they have worked before and changed the pump 3 years ago for 1500 so I was assuming there is nothing to worry about.
Next day a truck comes and they pull the pump, change it, all great... Until the bill came at 4344 dollars. Laber came to 1278 (part of the total 4344). So to have my well fixed- almost 4700 dollars.
Including 180 ft 12/2 wire at 531 dollars, Pentec 3/4 HP pump at 1035, electrical tape at 13 dollars, etc, etc. You get the idea. Everything was marked up by 3-5 times.
I confronted their supervisor and he declined that they ever worked on the house before or that they gave me estimate for "no more than 3000 dollars".
While the finished their job and everything seems OK so far, I have the feeling that was being not just overhcarged, but probably simply ripped off.
I do not want to be unfair to these people and this is why I want to get the opinion on people on the other side- do you think this is a fair price? Perhaps I do not understand everything that goes into this...
well don't want to bash any one but just replaced one 3-weeks ago...needed to dig up head...went like this....4hr min on backhoe.....450.00 ..meyers pump 625.00 wire 140.00 misc material 125.00 helper 225.00 mechanic 550.00 total labor and material $2115.00.......100ft deep well....ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Sounds like a Roto Rooter bait and switch they pull that stunt all the time. we proposal everything we do no surprises to the customer no misunderstandings upon completion.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Sounds like a Roto Rooter bait and switch they pull that stunt all the time. we proposal everything we do no surprises to the customer no misunderstandings upon completion.
yep they do that alot did a sewer for a lady 4' deep 16' long in and out in 5-6 hrs 7500.00 dollars.. ouch man that would leave a scar....

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 05-23-2012 at 09:27 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #7

Why do you need new wire ? They ripped you off big time.

Last edited by Rocksprings; 05-22-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Rocksprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
liscenced electrician

I'd file a complaint with someone. There's got to be a law against making that much profit on materials. 10% -30% is normal. Not 300%
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #9

Thanks everyone. I just do not want to be the grumpy customer who does not understand how much work is needed. Been on the other side for other things...
I am launching complaint with BBB- that is all I can do now...

sakamba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakamba For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-24-2012)

Tags
installation, price, well pump