Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Well Pump Quit Main Overload trips every 3-5 sec.

Like the title says. 240v 3hp submersible Franklin Control box. Im getting high amps on the red,black,yellow. Red 70 others were high too. Could it be a faulty start capacitor already replaced the pressure switch and start relay. Any help would be great im afraid its the pump. Tested the start and run capacitors, the run went 0 and pretty fast to infinite, the start went 0 then slower towards the infinite symbol but did not make it all the way.

plumbdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

A 3hp submersible pump?You must have a very deep well or high water demand.I would do a continuity test on my wire set from house to well.Tie 2 of the wires together at the well or house and check to see if you have a complete circuit(Of course make sure the electric is off).Do this until all combination's of wire connections have been performed.See if you have the same resistance reading between all the wires.You could have a fault in the wire,a bad motor(start or running windings),bad water end(impellers locking up)Did you check the start relay.You might want to replace the control box.
Hope this helps!

rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #3

You already checked the start relay-sorry!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #4

i checked resistance on the lines going down the well and ohms are within reasonable specs. also checked for ground fault but nothing. something seemed suspicious about the start capacitor but i had it tested with a capacitance meter and the guy said it was good. I think if i remember franklins web site said just cause it tests good doesnt mean it is. Yeah well depth is 285 ft and this well is shared between two houses. Im in central oregon the high desert. Thanks for trying rudolph. Any more insight would be great

Donald
Old 12-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #5

I had one instance where the electrical plug that screws into the top of the franklin motor was bad from the factory.The pump would run for a few seconds and kick out the auto reset over load protector.Goulds pump said it was one in a million chance of that happening.They replaced the pump and paid for my service call.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #6

I share this well with the neighbor, only that house is in forclosure and the bank sent someone to winterize the house. Turns out i found a valve between the pump and the switch that was shutoff. Preventing the water from reaching the pressure switch. I lost water 2 days ago so i knew someone had ****ed with that valve two days ago. Called up the realty company and played stupid asking if they sent someone to shut the water off next door and maybe they accidently shut mine off. BINGO they sent someone 2 days ago. So my impression is the pump sat there and ran all day until it finally heated up and tripped the main overload and the pump is shot now. Is my assumption correct. Or would the overload kick to save the pump before its too late?
Old 12-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #7

I mean the overload is supposed to protect the pump isnt it. But does it in this instance?
Old 12-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #8

Is the pump working now after opening the valve?I fear the damage is in the water end.Probably got the impellers so hot they wrapped.The problem with a 3 wire pump is that the overload protector is in the control box,not in the motor.I would take a picture or two of the valve,document what happened and contact the bank.God knows us tax payers have bailed plenty of them out!That's what happens when inexperienced people do stupid things.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #9

No it dont work i feel the same i believe it is on the water end to. I also think that the pump has overheated and is now bound up and wont budge making the motor trip the overload. Its too bad they sent some idiot to shut the water off. Still without water day 9. Thanks Rudolph for the input. Im still fighting with the realty company.