Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Well Pump Problems

I'm having problems with a well, it's a double drop jet pump system, about a 40' well, 20-40 psi pressure switch, the original problem was that the water would give out after running for a few minutes. Then the pump would continue to run and the pressure at the pressure tank would not build high enough to cut off the pump.

Replaced pressure switch, replaced pump, changed ejector and foot valve, lines to foot valve look good, still will not build up pressure to cut off.
Checked depth off well water, looked good.

Installed cut off valve immed. after pump but before pressure tank, when you cut the cutoff valve off pump builds correct pressure and pressure switch cuts off pump. When I open cutoff valve at pump it still holds pressure, I turn on water faucet at pump house which is in line right after pressure tank
( There is another cut off valve in the line that runs to the house, it is after the pressure tank and after the water faucet at pump house, I am doing all of these steps with this valve cut off so no water is flowing to the house )
Water flows until the pressure drops enough to turn on pump, pump cuts on I then cut off faucet at pump house, pressure at tank will not build up, and pump continues to run, I can then cut off the cut off valve right after the pump and the pressure will build and pump will cut off.
This system is almost entirely replaced with the exception of the pressure tank, the tank is not loosing pressure, and if you let some of the air out there is not any moisture coming out, so I assumed it is working properly.
There have been a total of three pressure switches, and three different pumps tried.

Please Help!! Running out of things to try

dannyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Well Pump Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjoe View Post
I'm having problems with a well, it's a double drop jet pump system, about a 40' well, 20-40 psi pressure switch, the original problem was that the water would give out after running for a few minutes. Then the pump would continue to run and the pressure at the pressure tank would not build high enough to cut off the pump.

Replaced pressure switch, replaced pump, changed ejector and foot valve, lines to foot valve look good, still will not build up pressure to cut off.
Checked depth off well water, looked good.

Installed cut off valve immed. after pump but before pressure tank, when you cut the cutoff valve off pump builds correct pressure and pressure switch cuts off pump. When I open cutoff valve at pump it still holds pressure, I turn on water faucet at pump house which is in line right after pressure tank
( There is another cut off valve in the line that runs to the house, it is after the pressure tank and after the water faucet at pump house, I am doing all of these steps with this valve cut off so no water is flowing to the house )
Water flows until the pressure drops enough to turn on pump, pump cuts on I then cut off faucet at pump house, pressure at tank will not build up, and pump continues to run, I can then cut off the cut off valve right after the pump and the pressure will build and pump will cut off.
This system is almost entirely replaced with the exception of the pressure tank, the tank is not loosing pressure, and if you let some of the air out there is not any moisture coming out, so I assumed it is working properly.
There have been a total of three pressure switches, and three different pumps tried.

Please Help!! Running out of things to try
The only thing that will operate the pressure switch is an increase in pressure!
Water cannot be compressed, so it cannot have an increase in pressure. All water pressure systems must have an air pocket, as it is the air that can be compressed.
This achieved in several different ways. An air injector can be used to form the air pocket. In some cases a bladder is installed in the pressure tank and then inflated with air pump. Another method is a miniature auxiliary tank that has a diaphragm separating the top and bottom half.
In all cases, whatever method, a pressure system must have an air pocket.
The symptom of a failed air pocket is continuous running of the pump.
If you have no sign of an external air injector or a mini-tank, its almost certain that the tank has an internal bladder and that it has failed. The solution is buy a new bladder and put it inside the pressure tank.
The tank should have a plug, probably about 1 1/4". Remove the plug, roll up the bladder, like a cigar. and push it in the hole. Remember to keep hold of the inflation valve. A air pump of some sort is attached to the valve and the bladder is pumped up. The pump is removed and a cap placed on the valve. Push the valve inside and replace the plug.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #3

Well Pump Problems

The pressure tank does have an air intake on the top, it holds pressure at 18psi, it doesnt lose pressure, the pressure just doesnt build when the pump is running. I have tried adding air to the tank and with enough air added it will cause the pump to stop but it stops too quickly. With the recommended 18psi at cut-on it will not build up enough pressure to cut off.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #4

Well Pump Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjoe View Post
The pressure tank does have an air intake on the top, it holds pressure at 18psi, it doesnt lose pressure, the pressure just doesnt build when the pump is running. I have tried adding air to the tank and with enough air added it will cause the pump to stop but it stops too quickly. With the recommended 18psi at cut-on it will not build up enough pressure to cut off.
Its got to be something to do with the air pocket. I would buy an inflatable bladder on put it in the tank. They are reasonably priced, and worth a try. It won't hurt to have two bladders inside, if its not the problem.
Frankly, there doesn't seem to be anything else left.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #5

Well Pump Problems

Wait a minute! I once had an air injector and it had spring loaded valves in it. Not totally sure how it worked but somehow air was drawn into its chamber in the first part of the cycle, then air was forced into the tank in the next.
I had problems with these valves and settled for a tank bladder.
To prove the point, close off the injector, drain down the tank to allow an air pocket to form, then run it again and see if it behaves properly. If it works OK, you'll know that the injector is defective.
Actually, manually replacing the air pocket will allow it to work for several months.
I found that at my cottage the pocket would last most of the summer season.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #6

Well Pump Problems

Gonna try a new tank and see what happens, will let you know, Thanks
Old 10-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Well Pump Problems

I suspect that you have a bad leak between the tank and somewhere on the outlet side or in the house. The cutoff valve between the tank and the demand (home) is not turning off the water (this happens a lot).

Be sure the cutoff valve to the house is cutting off the supply by turning off the valve and see if you are getting any water to the home while the pump is running. Your pump system and tank appear to be OK, find and repair the water leak and all will be OK again.

Porky Cutter, MGWC
Master Ground Water Consultant
porkyva@cox.net

Porky is offline   Reply With Quote