Well Pump Problem???? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

well pump problem????

this is probably a easy fix but im not afraid to ask for help when i dont know whats wrong to fix.... i have a wayne 1/2hp deep weel jet pump on a 2 inch driven point well 50 ft deep. the last 30 days my pressure has been dropping and the pump is taking longer and longer to kick on after flushing the toilet and when turning on the faucet it runs toit stops then the pump kicks on and pressure out of the wazzoo. am figuring either the pressure switch is faulty , the pressure tank is getting water logged (28 lbs pressure) or my impellers are worn out . but last night the pump is know starting to make a high whining noise when it is running?? that a sign of a dieing pump?? any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated and hoping i can baby it for 14 more days till it warms up to replace what i have to. thank you for any replies or comments or ideas to help out before i need to use a big hammer lol

Advertisement

bigshooter9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
G_P

well pump problem????

I would try replacing the pressure switch. they are fairly cheap.

make sure the well is not dry also. the high whining sound could be the pump running while it is above water level.

Advertisement

G_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Water quality'n pump guy

Rewards Points: 250

well pump problem????

It's rarely the switch. More likely is the switch, any nipple it is installed on or the tubing from the switch to the wet end of a jet pump and the fittings the tubing goes to alone with the holes the fittings screw into are blocked with rust. That prevents the switch from seeing the pressure changes in real time and it lags in coming on or turning off.

Another cause is a thermal overload opening and shutting off the pump due to it getting hot. When it cools it comes back on. It can get hot because the water in te hwell has gone down farther than 25' (at sealevel) and the pump can't suck any from that deep.
Gary Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #4

well pump problem????

ok i just tried a few things and no change.. had some sediment in the small line that runs from the pressure swith to the pump head. i cleared out that line replaced the pressure switch and the pressure tank is at 28 lbs with the switch at 30. i had a well person check my water level and am told that my well isnt dry. my relative living 100yrd away also says his well is not dry and his is the same depth as mine. and also my point isnt plugged. i am still getting the whining noises from the pump and am now told that the impellers are one major reason and that is causing the switch to delay. does that make any sense?? i think im just going to replace the whole pump which comes with a new switch and put a new pressure tank on and go from there?? any help please?? i really dont want to but will have to before it gets to the point of redoing a whole new well......
bigshooter9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Water quality'n pump guy

well pump problem????

With a jet pump, the well doesn't have to be "dry", the water level only has to be close or over 25' deep in the well and the single line jet pump can't suck water or a 2 line jet pump with a water level more than about 150' can't either. And those figures at at sea level, subtract for every 1000' of elevation you're at.

A whining pump is not a good thing but IMO an impellor isn't going to cause a whine.

Thanks for the feedback.
Gary Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
BIGRED

well pump problem????

A high pitched whine could be the impeller rubbing on calcium and iron deposits inside the impeller housing. It does sound like you maybe running dry at the pump though. Do you have a hose bib drain at the pressure tank/pressure switch? If so open the hose bib and see if the pump can over take the flow, build up pressure, and turn off with the hose bib open. If your well is adjusted for 30-50 P.S.I. and the pump is running with a 28 P.S.I. indication you well may be running dry at the pump. Normally the static or preset air charge on a pressure tank for wells is set 2 P.S.I. below the turn on point and most switches for residential wells come factory adjusted for a 20 P.S.I. swing between turn on and turn off.

Advertisement

Last edited by Grampa Bud; 04-15-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote