Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #1

Share |

well pump problem

I have well water and until today it has worked ok.About a year or so nothing was flowing very well I thought it was the pimp but once I started disconnecting the line I found they were all clogged with sediment so I changed them out and all was great till this morn.Water pressure was at best minimal so I though the main lines might be clogged again and I have been wanting to change them to pex anyway so I did it today and now I have nothing at all could my pump have taken a dump? is the pump something I can change myself? if not what am I looking at ?

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

well pump problem

You will need to know what you are looking at and have some knowledge of how the well systems work. Many other pieces could be the problem. To test the pump you need an ohm meter. There should be resistance between the lines. Be sure to turn off the 2P15 amp breaker first! Other things that may be wrong... pressure tank is saturated... pressure switch (little gray box) is bad Controller bigger gray box is bad. Breaker is bad...Where do you want to start? And yes it is possible to do it all yourself. The pump is connected to the end of the pipe going down. Just unbolt it and pull it all up. You will need help. It is long and heavy and dirty. But a well guy will charge you at least $1200 for that $350 pump.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:41 AM   #3

well pump problem

ok I check and have resistance to the electrical lines going to the pump and looked at a few other things also the breaker is good and I see no controller or big gray box.The gauge on the presure switch has presure but it dosnt seam to be cycling like it used to.Turn the water on and the presure would start to drop then it would kick in and go back up and repeat.Now I can get water but the presure just starts dropping and continues till their is nothing ?Is their a way to test the presure switch? or should I just replace it.I really dont want to call someone out on a Sunday or spend alot I switch to ciy water in the spring so I just need to keep it going till then
Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

well pump problem

Open up the cover to the pressure switch. take a plastic pen and push the contacts in and hold. Does this make your pressure rise. If so the pressure regulator is bad. Replacement is easy. Cost is about $34
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

well pump problem

Quote:
Is their a way to test the presure switch? or should I just replace it.
Ayuh,...

They're pretty Cheap,... I'd try it...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

well pump problem

The pressure switch is what "calls" the electric to flow from the electrical panel to the controller switch. If the pressure is going down these contacts should close. If they are not, something in this process is bad. It could be this switch or it could be a clogged check valve which is at the tee at the bottom of your tank. (if you have one) Not a good way to tell if this unit is bad or it is not working due to no pressure information getting to it. Once I found that the gauge itself was stuck, the regulator was not working correctly (cycling) but the real problem was the tank had too much pressure in it and was not regulated the pressure fluctuations correctly. So we need to test on thing at a time. If you are at first getting water, then the pump may still be good and this is you only big project to address.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #7

well pump problem

the pressure regulator you talk of is that the same as the pressure switch .I did what you said pushed the contacts together and yes it dose make the pressure go up and then they stay connected (dont release) but as soon as you open any water it drops again.I went and got a new pressure switch and am going to replace the old one figured I might as well start with one of the cheapest parts and hope I hit it
Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #8

well pump problem

well I replaced the presure switch and it did nothing to fix the problem funny the gauge says it is just over 60psi but sure feels more like 10 maybe
Old 01-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

well pump problem

when you press in these contacts do they release now? When you are low on pressure the contacts close, when you get back up to pressure (50-60psi) it will open the contracts. The other controller is for controlling start up and run voltages to the pump. Since this worked it should be part of your problem. Do you have a tank? Maybe Welltrol? It should have a tire gauge on top in which you can check the pressure. This pressure should be within 2 psi of the start pressure set (30-35psi) And do not adjust this new regulator, they are factory set correctly.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #10

well pump problem

the contacts are staying closed all the time.This is the only box or controller I see on the system.The presure in the tank is at about 32psi,The presure gauge is showing it to drop to about 55-60 when you open the water and climbs to about 80 when you close it and wait a min or so
Old 01-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

well pump problem

your original post stated a sediment problem. Most likely you still have this and it clogged the check value. You might need to change this next.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #12

well pump problem

oh I have major rust and sediment I change filters every other week.So where might this check valve be.Here is what I have and see .Well is in the house not sure how deep got black pipe comming to where the presure switch is two wires comming in to switch then it goes to a large blue tank and out to the house on 3/4 pex lines
Old 01-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

well pump problem

at the bottom of this tank there should be a tee fitting. between this and the lines going out to the well the fitting is a check valve so the water pumped into the house is not rushing back into the pipe after the well pump is turned off.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #14

well pump problem

I see a what look it fittings or unions I will take them apart and see what they are and get back to you .Oh and by the way I have not said it yet but thanks for the help
Old 01-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #15

well pump problem

ok I am at a total loss here.I took apart evey joint I could ,now from the tank it has a tee it goes up to the line to the well the stright out and tees again to the right is a sigout to the left it goes to a shut off with a relief then to copper pipe which is now connected to pex.In all of this I saw no kind of check valve and I didnt have this problem before.All I did was cut out a couple feet of copper and connect pex to it then replaced some pvc with pex thats it now after running no more then a min I lose water presure and the contacts on the new presure switch are not openning unless I pull them off.I have good presure at first then its gone.I dont know what else to check here ??????