Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Share |

Well pump not gaining pressure

Hello all. I've been battling this well system for over a week. It is a shallow well 1/2 hp Jet pump. It started when I was moving some stuff and bumped the pipe leading out of it, it cracked the coupler going into the pump head and sprang a leak. I took it out, chipped out the old brass, retapped it and put it back together. Turned on the pump (It sits below the well level so no priming necessary) and went an burped all the fixtures. It ran and ran but wouldn't shut off. I figured when I was cleaning the broken metal out some got in and wore the pump.
Me being a cheapskate, I picked up a pump from a lady who said it had 3 months of use, she also gave me a new pressure tank just as new. I installed these and fired it up. Same results. Only 43 psi. so it is not tripping the pres. switch. Both seemed to be running smooth. I didn't change anything else in the system so i am just checking if there is something else I could be overlooking before I go and drop more money on a new pump.

Offalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #2

Bad foot valve in the well or check valve in the line, leaking suction line can all cause this.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Bad foot valve in the well or check valve in the line, leaking suction line can all cause this.
I have had a bad check valve before. It caused the pump to reach the shut off pressure (~60psi)then click on and off repeatedly as PSI bounced up and down from shut off to turn on pressure. If it were stuck open I would think it would still get above 43 psi, or am I not thinking of this the right way?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #4

Failure to build pressure has in experience always been cause by a piece of debris in the jet orifice. Usually builds between 30-40 psi and sits there running.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Failure to build pressure has in experience always been cause by a piece of debris in the jet orifice. Usually builds between 30-40 psi and sits there running.
That is what it is doing. How do I access the jet orifice? Do I have to take the whole head apart?
Also may be worth mentioning, I only have 1 line in from the well. The pump I bought has two ports on the face. I plugged the lower one. I read that is a pressure side for extra pumping. Didn't know if that might affect anything but figured I should mention it in case.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #6

The one I have worked on look like this. Never seen one with two ports. Remove two bolts and the nozzle comes of and flush it with water.