Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Well Pressure Switch Replacement (Photos)

My house was built in the 1940s, located in the northeast. When we were looking to buy it, the inspector noted the fact that the pressure switch was lacking a cover, so the bare wires and terminals are exposed. I had been meaning to take care of it, but it's a little more urgent now that I have seen a flash of spark from the switch when it turns the pump off. Anything I should know before attempting to replace this? From the reviews, I probably won't get the replacement at Lowe's or Home Depot; they look to be low quality at those places.

Here's some pictures of the basement setup. The mildew makes it look a little rough. One thing I wasn't sure about: When I remove the old switch, will I be dealing with water? As you can see, there is no shut-off between the switch and where the supply comes out of the basement floor, will there be leakage or spraying water? Hopefully that's not a dumb question. Thank you.

Edit: How can I tell which switch I need 30/50 or 40/60? And will I do harm if the old switch is 30/50 and I replace it with 40/60?

Last edited by porkfriedrice; 10-27-2011 at 03:56 PM.
porkfriedrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,140

To determine the pressure watch the gauge, the pump will start at the low set and turn off at the high set.

Buy a new switch (a big box switch is fine) and just use the cover on the old switch, they are pretty much universal. Save the switch in case the old one goes bad.

If you turn off the power and bleed the water out of the system (turn on a faucet), no water will spray.

That red/black/green un-jacketed wire is not code compliant, it should be run in a piece of seal-tight (flexible) conduit.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

check Grainger here http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pre.../N-8gnZ1z11l12 as said is cool on the pressure bleed of shut the pump and open the house faucets to relieve it...you'll get a burp of water out the fitting....yes and tighten up the electrical.you could mount the control on the wall and run a flared 1/4 copper line up to it from a pipe fitting also flared to sense pipe pressure....might want to add ONE isolating valve on the rise into the house so you don't drain the riser with unions for future i think i see one union as is.when you open the fittings the only water will be whats on the pump riser pipe out of the floor
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for replying. So are the sparks that I've seen normal? That's the main reason I wanted to replace the switch, not just for the cover. Thanks for the other tips!!
porkfriedrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkfriedrice View Post
Thanks for replying. So are the sparks that I've seen normal? That's the main reason I wanted to replace the switch, not just for the cover. Thanks for the other tips!!
Sparks are normal when the switch opens or closes, replace the cover and you wont see them.