Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

well pressure switch

Yesterday replaced well pressure switch, cleaned out connection pipe filled with sediments from hard water, well holding tanks had to be drained and air filled into tanks again. Put 50 PSI into each tank set new pressure switch at 30 PSI water began to refill slowly. Now pressure switch reads 0 no water in house? What happened?

NJ Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,140

well pressure switch

If you put 50 PSI in the pressure tank and used a 30 PSI switch, the switch will never see low enough pressure to operate.

If your switch 1s 30-50 PSI, the tank should be pressurized to about 28 PSI when empty. Always set a little less than the cut in pressure of the switch.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

well pressure switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
If you put 50 PSI in the pressure tank and used a 30 PSI switch, the switch will never see low enough pressure to operate.

If your switch 1s 30-50 PSI, the tank should be pressurized to about 28 PSI when empty. Always set a little less than the cut in pressure of the switch.
I have lowered tank pressure to 28 PSI checked if power is coming into pressure switch it is and still pressure switch is at 0, the switch control box has power going to the pressure switch, I turned the cut on off switch on pressure gauge and fully open pressure what else can it be?
Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

well pressure switch

You say You adjusted the pressure switch. They come preset to a specific range 20-40, 30-50, 40-60. If you adjusted it you may have caused the problem. Remove the cover on the pressure switch and manually operate the switch. Use a paint stirrer or other dry stick and see if the pump starts.

Give us more info about the system. Submersible pump? Above ground jet pump? Deep or shallow well.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #5

well pressure switch

Quote:
You say You adjusted the pressure switch. They come preset to a specific range 20-40, 30-50, 40-60. If you adjusted it you may have caused the problem. Remove the cover on the pressure switch and manually operate the switch. Use a paint stirrer or other dry stick and see if the pump starts.

Give us more info about the system. Submersible pump? Above ground jet pump? Deep or shallow well.
Thank you for your help. Got it going the the pipe from the switch to the water inlet was clogged, just cleaned that out and pressure went up immediately. Last question the switch is a 30/50 what should the pressure read in the switch 30 or 40?
Old 11-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

well pressure switch

What a 30/50 PSI switch means: the switch will close (start pump) when the pressure falls to 30 PSI. The pump will raise the pressure to 50 PSI and the switch will open (stop the pump).
Old 11-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #7

well pressure switch

Quote:
What a 30/50 PSI switch means: the switch will close (start pump) when the pressure falls to 30 PSI. The pump will raise the pressure to 50 PSI and the switch will open (stop the pump).
thank you so much for your help. I have water going again what a relief.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #8

well pressure switch

Last week put in a new pressure switch, emptied water tanks filled with 28 PSI now holding tanks have no water why. Could this be an electrical problem>
Old 12-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

well pressure switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Lady View Post
Last week put in a new pressure switch, emptied water tanks filled with 28 PSI now holding tanks have no water why. Could this be an electrical problem>
Why did you install a new pressure switch?

Give us more info about the system. Submersible pump? Above ground jet pump? Deep or shallow well. 120 or 240 volt pump? Picture. Do you have 2 pressure tanks?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 868

well pressure switch

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "holding tanks" since you claim you pumped them to 50 psi in your opening statement. Are you referring to the CUSHION tanks (tanks with a little air nozzles on them)?
If that's the case then they won't fill with very much water if you have 28 pounds of air in them and the system pressure set at 30 pounds. Their job isn't really to fill with water anyway. They are there to act as air cushions since water is non compressible.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #11

well pressure switch

Quote:
Why did you install a new pressure switch?

Give us more info about the system. Submersible pump? Above ground jet pump? Deep or shallow well. 120 or 240 volt pump? Picture. Do you have 2 pressure tanks?
Hi Handy Hubby,

I replace the pressure switch because there was little pressure and it was clicking on and off. After doing that the 40 gallon tanks will send pic that hold water from the deep well were filled with water, there was no air. I drained both of them and filled with 28 PSI of air the new pressure switch is 30/50. Water was coming but with very little pressure, why is causing this is it electrical or something else I need to check? Just came back from going to dinner and now there is no pressure no water.

Tried to send pictures need to work on how to do that.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #12

well pressure switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "holding tanks" since you claim you pumped them to 50 psi in your opening statement. Are you referring to the CUSHION tanks (tanks with a little air nozzles on them)?
If that's the case then they won't fill with very much water if you have 28 pounds of air in them and the system pressure set at 30 pounds. Their job isn't really to fill with water anyway. They are there to act as air cushions since water is non compressible.
I have a submersible well with a pressure gauge 30/50 and 2 forty gallon holding tanks, would love to insert a photo but site wants a URL and they are on my hard drive.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #13

well pressure switch

Hi Handy Hubby,

Here are pictures of the set up
Attached Thumbnails
well pressure switch-pressure-switch-box.jpg   well pressure switch-holding-tanks.jpg   well pressure switch-pressure-gauge.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #14

well pressure switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Bob, I was told that the pressure had to be lower than the pressure gauge and to set at 28PSI. did you recieve the photo's I sent?
Attached Thumbnails
well pressure switch-pressure-switch-box.jpg   well pressure switch-pressure-gauge.jpg   well pressure switch-holding-tanks.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #15

well pressure switch

Quote:
Hi Handy Hubby,

I replace the pressure switch because there was little pressure and it was clicking on and off. After doing that the 40 gallon tanks will send pic that hold water from the deep well were filled with water, there was no air. I drained both of them and filled with 28 PSI of air the new pressure switch is 30/50. Water was coming but with very little pressure, why is causing this is it electrical or something else I need to check? Just came back from going to dinner and now there is no pressure no water.

Tried to send pictures need to work on how to do that.
I have attached pictures of set up
Attached Thumbnails
well pressure switch-pressure-switch-box.jpg   well pressure switch-pressure-gauge.jpg   well pressure switch-holding-tanks.jpg