Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

well pressure problem

When I run the shower in about 5 min the water pressure will drop off to 0 and then come back in a second or two. this happens approx 1 or two times in 10 min. I was checking out the problem at the pressure tank and I found my pressure guage is not functioning it is staying at 42 PSI if I run the system . When I drained it it stayed at 42 PSI. When I tested the system the pressure switch clicked only a couple of times when I ran the water. System is approx 10 years old

gino perrozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #2

well pressure problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gino perrozzi View Post
When I run the shower in about 5 min the water pressure will drop off to 0 and then come back in a second or two. this happens approx 1 or two times in 10 min. I was checking out the problem at the pressure tank and I found my pressure guage is not functioning it is staying at 42 PSI if I run the system . When I drained it it stayed at 42 PSI. When I tested the system the pressure switch clicked only a couple of times when I ran the water. System is approx 10 years old
May be an adjustment problem--the precharge in your pressure tank should be 2 lbs below the low pressure cut in for the well pump. So if the well pump pressure is 40/60 the pressure tank precharge should be 38.

To check the precharge turn the well pump off and then drain all the water out of the pressure tank. Once the pressure tank is drained check the precharge and adjust as necessary.

I could also be a problem with the small tube that connects the pressure switch to the manifold being plugged.

If you get water escaping when you check the pressure tank precharge it means the pressure tank bladder is leaking and you will need a new pressure tank.

Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

well pressure problem

bad pressure guage will not affect operation of system only tells you what is going on with your pressure...could be pressure switch hanging up or pump may be going bad.....easy to change guage...do that 1st then we can find out if switch or pump is acting up....maybe even breaker?
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote