Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
bsa_bob

Rewards Points: 150

well pressure going down/ help

I have a well pump in the house that is 30 years at a guess old. It doesn't want to fill up the toilets and it gets down to a trickle of water with one flush. Where do i look first. I am a retired city plumber and no little, about a well but i know somethings not right here somewhere. tips are what i need or any explanations ,whatever. help bob s

bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Is there a water filter? If there is change the element.
Is this old iron pipes? If so it some point there going to get plugged up from the inside.
Is there an outside faucet near where the pump is located to see if there is a lack of flow from the pump. Pressure means littie if there not enough flow (CFM) it's flow that counts.
Over time the impellers and the inside housings wear out on water pumps from all the sand and impuritys being pumped through them.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
I have a well pump in the house that is 30 years at a guess old. It doesn't want to fill up the toilets and it gets down to a trickle of water with one flush. Where do i look first. I am a retired city plumber and no little, about a well but i know somethings not right here somewhere. tips are what i need or any explanations ,whatever. help bob s
A couple thing's i bet their is no preasure gage on the pump?? Their is a preasure regulator tho I could be bad or about bad see what preasure you have a 30 to 50 ?? their are i belive 3 of them. And a preasure tank. When you turn on a faucet does the pump come on right away and than shut off when the faucet is shut off. If yes do that again if the same thing happen's. Then the preasure tank blater is bad and has filled up with water. Or maybe you have a old time like a 50 gal tank that you let the air out and than turn on the pump and preasure that tank . A few way for a tank. Does this happen at the faucet's also ?? if not than maybe the fill valve's in the tank is bad i bet . Depend's which one you have. Their are lot's of things to figure here. Look at the above and check back . I know more will chim in
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Where do i look first.
Does the water begin to flow after a period of time--if so it is likely to be a problem with the pressure tank or the pressure switch.

If the pressure never builds to create flow the problem is likely to be in the well or the pipe from the well to the pressure tank--it could be a leak in the pipe or it could be a failing pump.

1. Check out the pressure tank--it may be a bladder tank or an older galvanized tank. With a Bladder tank thee will be a schrader valve at the top. Use an air pressure gage and it should read between 30 and 60 lbs. If you get water out with a bladder tank it means the bladder has failed and the tank will have to be replaced.

Next--Turn off the well pump and drain the tank. Check the pressure at the schrader valve with tire pressure gage. The pressure should read 2 lbs less than the low pressure cut in for the well pump switch--typically either 28 if the pressure switch is 30/50 or 38 if the pressure switch is 40/60. Adjust as necessary and then start up the pump and check to see if the problem is resolved.

2. Check out the pressure switch--it is located on a small copper pipe connected to the water line and it controls the pump--turning the pump on when the pressure drops below the cut in pressure and turning the pump off when the pressure reaches the cut off pressure--typical settings are 30/50 and 40/60. The small copper tube can become blocked so that the switch does not accurately sense the pressure.

Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
bsa_bob

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
Does the water begin to flow after a period of time--if so it is likely to be a problem with the pressure tank or the pressure switch.

If the pressure never builds to create flow the problem is likely to be in the well or the pipe from the well to the pressure tank--it could be a leak in the pipe or it could be a failing pump.

1. Check out the pressure tank--it may be a bladder tank or an older galvanized tank. With a Bladder tank thee will be a schrader valve at the top. Use an air pressure gage and it should read between 30 and 60 lbs. If you get water out with a bladder tank it means the bladder has failed and the tank will have to be replaced.

Next--Turn off the well pump and drain the tank. Check the pressure at the schrader valve with tire pressure gage. The pressure should read 2 lbs less than the low pressure cut in for the well pump switch--typically either 28 if the pressure switch is 30/50 or 38 if the pressure switch is 40/60. Adjust as necessary and then start up the pump and check to see if the problem is resolved.

2. Check out the pressure switch--it is located on a small copper pipe connected to the water line and it controls the pump--turning the pump on when the pressure drops below the cut in pressure and turning the pump off when the pressure reaches the cut off pressure--typical settings are 30/50 and 40/60. The small copper tube can become blocked so that the switch does not accurately sense the pressure.

Thank you for thee in depth reply. the pump kicks in at 25 lbs-off at 50 lbs ------------25lbs----------should start up pressure , be abit higher? And i replaced the filter and the pressure is way much better, which indicates --stop me if i'm wrong---that the "normal" black residue that shows up each time,in the filter, before the filter is changed is getting some worse each time changed.
I have a lare bladder tank which i will go check and then return here.and see what your reccomendations on start up are.

MY tank i will check next.
went down and adjusted the pressure in the tank bladder and now combined with,a clean filter. The water pressuer is now back up to par!! Again my thanks go out to Bob 999 and all of you who helped You probably saved me a large service call happy new year too you bob s
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
the pump kicks in at 25 lbs-off at 50 lbs ------------25lbs----------should start up pressure , be abit higher?
A pressure range of 20 lbs is what most tank manufacturers recommend and I suggest sticking to it--so 30/50 in your situation. The disadvantage of the wider range is that it stretches the bladder a bit more on each cycle and most likely shortens the life a bit.

Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote