Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
Dumbass

Rewards Points: 10

well issues

OK here goes, I have a well (shallow under 25 ft) new inlet check valve new check valve new black coil flex tubing to well new pump 3/4 hp flotek new ball valve (shut off) new 40/60 pressure switch old pressure tank non bladder type. old galv pipe. coroded yes. amyway what has happened is that I ha a lawn hydrant leak (barn line) and did not realize it and the pump was short cycling for who knows how long. when I realized it I shut off pressure to that line and pressure would only build to 40 psi. so I replaced the pressure switch and fixed the leak. now the pump or switch wont pump up the system to 60 psi like before. checked for other leaks and there are none. I was told or read online somewhere about the old pressure tanks. suposably you are to drain completely and just turn on the pump and as the pump fills the tank the corect pressure will acumulate. no need to pressurize to 38 psi. any sugestions are greatly appreciated. thanx in advance.

jobless-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

well issues

Sounds as if you have a jet pump (Pump is above the water) If so, there may be some trash in the jet valve assembly. I have seen where so much a a grain of dirt has done this many times. The jet valve is inside the foot valve assembly. First, try jarring it by picking up and down on the water line real fast and hard several times, if this dont work then Take it off the hose, and rinse it out in some clean water, there should not be any need to dis assemble it, just flush it out good, then reinstall and it should work fine. And yes, with the old tank system you drain it down, start the pump and it does build to its own pressure.

If I am mistaken and you have a submersable pump (Pump in the water) then there could be something stuck under the foot valve. No need to dis assemble, just install an after market one just above the pump is all.

If neither of these help then there is another leak some where thats not allowing the pump to come to pressure

1 more item to check is the line feeding the pressure swithch. It could have sediment in it

Last edited by USP45; 01-01-2008 at 04:40 AM.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
Dumbass

Rewards Points: 10

well issues

yes it is a jet pump and I will try to clean out the foot valve. (new also) Thanx
jobless-one is offline   Reply With Quote