Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
timthetoolman

Share |

Well I know water doesn't flow uphill...but

So heres one for you guys. I am a young contractor who has recently done a kitchen remodel. All drywall, cabinets, counters, and sink in place. Heres the question...

The home owner bought a deep sink. I have installed a garbage disposal also. I still need to hook up the pvc drains, however I notice that due to the depth of the sink the drain in the wall sits about dead center of the disposal. So i would have to add a couple 45's in prior to the trap. so.....

I know if i have to lower this here before the trap that everything from that point on will act as a trap, leaving water in about the bottom half of the disposal-bad stuff.

Any way around this problem without movin drains inside the wall????

timthetoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

I don't think so. I'm not a pro plumber, just an old DIYer, but your title said it all...water doesn't flow uphill.
If it were me, I would cut the PVC drain pipe in the wall above and below the T, flip it over, lowering it to be slightly "downhill" of the pipe out of the trap, and reassemble it with two couplings if there is enough play. Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

when ever a disposal is going to be installed the tee in the wall must be lowered about 6" If this is an after thought by the owner, they must pay the extra expense to lower it.
if the tee has a sweep to it you dont want to turn it upside down. it should sweep towards the waste pipe.

Last edited by buletbob; 11-30-2008 at 12:25 PM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
timthetoolman

Well i just spoke to the home owner and he seems to be saying don't worry about it and/or he doesnt wanna spend the money. But i am actually worried about it. I know accessing the drain pipe from the cabinet is impossible cause of the back of their pretty new cabinets, but i could have the wall opened up on the other side.

I know this will still drain if i hook it up as it, but I'm sure its not a good idea to have standing water in the bottom of the disposal right? I mean as far as bacteria, rusting the disposal, etc.

So everyones final conclusion is just open it up and flip pipe around right???

Will any other problems be encountered from hookin up as is? Im trying to pursuede them to do it right!!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #5

Do the job correctly. If you don't, the customer will end up complaining later and may even take legal action since you are a paid contractor.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
timthetoolman

Thanks guys. Will be done right!
Old 11-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
Long-Time DIYer

Bob made an excellent point that I didn't. Sweeps always go toward the direction you want the water to flow, if there is a sweep.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
timthetoolman

There isnt a sweep, its old galvanized and plans are to go forward and just swap it all out with pvc. Its in pretty poor shape now and would prob have to be pulled out in the next few years anyway.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #9

Just a heads up,,,I am working on a similiar kitchen. I am not using a diposal,,,BUT here is the issue. The drain into the cast stack is 'actually' a 4 way and that same chunk drains the bath sink coming from the other way,,,so the flip idea has bigger issues!! What I am trying to say,,,before you make those final plans,,,better open BOTH sides of that stack and "SEE" what else is involved. Yes replacing the whole stack is cheaper than redoin a little of it IF its a low roof one story,so you dont get upstairs walls involved!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #10
timthetoolman

Yes actually it is a one story house. I had the walls opened up for drywall and it should be fairly easy. Couple ferncos and some pvc and we should be good to go all the way to the main stack