Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #1

Share |

well feed leak

the black plastic pipe coming out of my basement floor is leaking,it has 2 radiator clamps going to a plastic fitting which screwes into the shutoff,it is leaking at the top of the black plastic pipe,put a 2nd clamp on and both on tight but still leaking,any ideas,any help will be appreciated,thanks

jmgasior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Owner

well feed leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgasior View Post
the black plastic pipe coming out of my basement floor is leaking,it has 2 radiator clamps going to a plastic fitting which screwes into the shutoff,it is leaking at the top of the black plastic pipe,put a 2nd clamp on and both on tight but still leaking,any ideas,any help will be appreciated,thanks
A picture would help determine what kind of pipe it is if you don't know. I'm guessing it's 100psi black poly. The plastic fitting is probably cracked. You'll need to replace the plastic fitting with a brass barbed fitting. Should be barbed on one side for the poly and MIP thread on the other side threaded into a ball valve. Hopefully you have enough room to cut a few inches off the poly and insert a new fitting. What kind of pipe is after the valve?

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #3

well feed leak

Take things apart and replace the fittings (perhaps the pipe too, as it's relatively inexpensive).

I recently had a similar experience where the original hose ((looked like a large-diameter garden hose -- kinda scary) that connected our pressure tank to the black poly pipe coming through the basement floor from our well burst at some point while I was at work. Not a pleasant surprise to come home to, that's for sure . At any rate, I replaced the short section of hose with the proper material, but didn't bother with the fittings at the time (stupid - I know). With the new black poly in place, I no longer had a geyser in my basement, but I did have a continuous drip at one end. No matter how tight I cranked the clamps onto the fitting, it still leaked. Went and got new fittings, and the leak disappeared. Kind of sad - $5 for replacement parts to fix the burst section, but upwards of $1,500 in damage & clean-up. Not a fun evening
H8Mondays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

well feed leak

Barbed fittings are becoming a thing of the past, at least with pros. Get a Ford fitting from a supply house, it compresses on the outside of the pipe and will not leak. Take a piece of pipe with you if possible so you get the right size, and if it's poly you'll need a SS stiffener for the inside as well
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #5

well feed leak

If its at all like my set up i would suggest replacing fittings and clamps and cutting a few inches off of black plastic. Its worked for me on more than one occasion
blunt22man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #6

well feed leak

I cant remove the plastic fitting from the black plastic pipe,so tight yet it leaks,I'm thinking I might have a small crack in the pipe but I cant see anything,it seems to be coming out at the top of the pipe,even tried double clamping it,got it down to a slow drip,but still to much water,thinking about maybe some ep0y if it were compatable with the drip,thanks
jmgasior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Owner

well feed leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgasior View Post
I cant remove the plastic fitting from the black plastic pipe,so tight yet it leaks,I'm thinking I might have a small crack in the pipe but I cant see anything,it seems to be coming out at the top of the pipe,even tried double clamping it,got it down to a slow drip,but still to much water,thinking about maybe some ep0y if it were compatable with the drip,thanks
Warm it up with a torch and pull the plastic fitting out with a pair of channel locks

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote