Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Chris from Philadelphia

Share |

Weird Water Heater Issue I Bet You've Never Experienced Before

I'm no newbie when it comes to installing water heaters. Yesterday, though, I experienced something very odd that I never experienced before.

Picture this. I turned off the main water to the house. I opened up every single hot and cold water valve throughout the house. I drained the hole system, and I drained and removed the old water heater. Old water heater is GONE; so far so good.

So now all I have in front of me is the 1/2" copper cold water line which will come into the water heater, and the 1/2" copper hot water line which will go out of the water heater.

I installed a ball valve on the cold water side. I closed that valve, and turned main water supply back on. I opened up the newly-installed ball valve on the cold water side, and water was shooting out of there into my bucket as expected. Then I closed that valve, and WATER STARTED SHOOTING OUT OF THE HOT WATER PIPE. How the heck does that happen? How the heck is any water getting into the hot water pipes when there isn't even a water heater hooked up?

I opened the cold water valve back up again and water, as expected is flowing out there, but it's still flowing out of the hot water side as well. I closed that cold water ball valve back up and turned the main water supply off again to think for a minute. I was baffled.

With the cold side ball valve shut, I opened the main water back up with a 5 gallon bucket under the hot side pipe. Water flowed out of that hot water side steadily until I filled the 5-gallon bucket. So I turned the main water supply back off.

So my question to you is WHY? Did someone cross the hot and cold water lines somewhere else in the house, and if so, why the heck would anyone do that? What else, besides that, could cause this?

hellohello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

I bet your hot water lines are getting back fed via a mixing valve such as at your shower.

dannyoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dannyoung85 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-08-2014), jaydevries (01-08-2014), oh'mike (01-09-2014), plummen (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #3

One of your single handle valve cartridges is bad. Turn off the stops below the sink one by one until you find the leaker and replace that cartridge. If that doesn't locate it I hope you have shutoffs on your tub and shower....
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Common when mixer valves are left open, or you have gaskets going bad in a mixer valve. Easy fix, go shut off the hot water feeds to all faucets, while you are working on the water heater.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Common you got mix slash bypass in the systems, as mentioned by posters.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyoung85 View Post
I bet your hot water lines are getting back fed via a mixing valve such as at your shower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
One of your single handle valve cartridges is bad. Turn off the stops below the sink one by one until you find the leaker and replace that cartridge. If that doesn't locate it I hope you have shutoffs on your tub and shower....
Seen this too many times. Locate the faulty cartridge and repair it- I bet you have Moen......
Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
I'm no newbie when it comes to installing water heaters. Yesterday, though, I experienced something very odd that I never experienced before.

Picture this. I turned off the main water to the house. I opened up every single hot and cold water valve throughout the house. I drained the hole system, and I drained and removed the old water heater. Old water heater is GONE; so far so good.

So now all I have in front of me is the 1/2" copper cold water line which will come into the water heater, and the 1/2" copper hot water line which will go out of the water heater.

I installed a ball valve on the cold water side. I closed that valve, and turned main water supply back on. I opened up the newly-installed ball valve on the cold water side, and water was shooting out of there into my bucket as expected. Then I closed that valve, and WATER STARTED SHOOTING OUT OF THE HOT WATER PIPE. How the heck does that happen? How the heck is any water getting into the hot water pipes when there isn't even a water heater hooked up?

I opened the cold water valve back up again and water, as expected is flowing out there, but it's still flowing out of the hot water side as well. I closed that cold water ball valve back up and turned the main water supply off again to think for a minute. I was baffled.

With the cold side ball valve shut, I opened the main water back up with a 5 gallon bucket under the hot side pipe. Water flowed out of that hot water side steadily until I filled the 5-gallon bucket. So I turned the main water supply back off.

So my question to you is WHY? Did someone cross the hot and cold water lines somewhere else in the house, and if so, why the heck would anyone do that? What else, besides that, could cause this?
Could also be a 2 handle faucet left open when you drained the system.