Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #1

Share |

Weird pipe in basement floor - Water on floor

Hello all, have a weird problem and a weird pipe that may be leaking. 2 nights ago we noticed some wet carpet in the basement near the water meter. When I checked the meter, valves and junctions I cannot find any water.

However, there is this weird green pipe in the floor that makes me think it may be the leak. I noticed that this pipe has a drilled hole in it, and was plugged up with a wood dowel. Really strange.

I know it's not the main to the sewer because that is on the other side of the house. What the heck would this be, and who uses a wood dowel ( looks like a wood spike ) to plug it up.

It doesn't seem to be waste water ( like from the sewer ). I'm stumped ( and wet )

nserafini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #2

Looks like a clean out, so where the line plugs up someone can but a snake down the drain.
Should have been a soild plug.
Most often if those leak it's cause from a sewer back up.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #3

Agreed, it looks like some sort of clean out pipe. I was just surprised as I assumed there is only one, and that would be where the drains meet up in my furnace room to the stack.

I assume I should call a plumber and at least have the wood plug upgraded to something metal ?
Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #4

You are talking about the plug with the square head on it right? I can not see a wood plug in the picture.
If so any Lowes or HD will have one.
I would wonder how it was adapted to fit that old cast iron hub.
No reason I can think of to not just use a bolt and nut to fill the hole and use the plug you have now.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

Actually, no. The " plug " is a piece of wood as long as my thumb and about the thickness of a wood broom handle. It's in a shape of a piece of candy corn, and is basically just driven into the cast iron. I was able to take it out by hand and used a soft hammer to drive it back in.

That photo is from our home inspection last year, so i'd be happy to take a pic and show what I mean tonight. The inside of the wood plug was wet, so there is somehow some water in there at some time
Old 08-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #6

Closeup pic.... see the weird plug made of wood....

Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #7

Ah, it makes sense now- sort of..
The brass cap is in great shape. Leave it be.
Why you have a plug is anyone's guess, I'll go first-some previous owner had a condensate line tied in there.
There's no easy fix that I know of and sense it is located at the clean out it will collect moisture/condensate from the drain activity.
However, it may also indicate that your main line is starting to backup. For piece of mind you could drop a $150 or so and get it cabled and video inspected. Prices will vary.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
bbo

I'd get rid of the wooden plug and get something in there to seal it properly.

I'd also cut away that carpet. bad idea (stinky) to put carpet in an area with piping in the floor. looks like a storage area anyway, right?

plumbers here would have some better ideas, might be best to replace that cast iron cleanout with PVC.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #9

Both make sense, have the main line scoped and remove the carpet from the area.

But a question, I thought the main cleanout was attached to the main stack i have on the other side of the house. Is it possible to have 2 cleanouts ?

Something I did not mention, though might be prudent. About 2 months ago we had a backed up toliet on the third floor. Snake and pro came in, no blockage. Wanted to open the wall and etc. We held off. I noticed the second floor sink would drain very slow.

Long story short, i removed the trap in the 2nd floor sink, went in about 15 ft and pulled 2 softball sized piles of baby wipes out! after that, i had no drain problems in the 3rd floor toilet or the 2nd floor drain. Also surprised the toilet from a floor above is attached somehow to a sink

Now that this happened, perhaps i had more in there and pushed a blockage along? Pressure pops out that wood plug and boom ...water..
Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nserafini View Post
Both make sense, have the main line scoped and remove the carpet from the area.

But a question, I thought the main cleanout was attached to the main stack i have on the other side of the house. Is it possible to have 2 cleanouts ?

Something I did not mention, though might be prudent. About 2 months ago we had a backed up toliet on the third floor. Snake and pro came in, no blockage. Wanted to open the wall and etc. We held off. I noticed the second floor sink would drain very slow.

Long story short, i removed the trap in the 2nd floor sink, went in about 15 ft and pulled 2 softball sized piles of baby wipes out! after that, i had no drain problems in the 3rd floor toilet or the 2nd floor drain. Also surprised the toilet from a floor above is attached somehow to a sink

Now that this happened, perhaps i had more in there and pushed a blockage along? Pressure pops out that wood plug and boom ...water..
Code dictates how many and where cleanouts should be. Most homes have 1 at the base of the stack. Others also have them before or after the line exits the house as well as other places.
Do you have any floor drains or plumbing fixtures in the basement? If the main line is backing up near that clean out, they would be the first to overflow as they're the lowest point.
You may also have piping issues outside
Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #11

No drains or fixtures of any kind. The green pipe is maybe 2 ft from the side of the house. If this is a cleanout, it's the point closest to the street. The stack is about 15ft southwest of this pipe.