Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
DIYFrau

Share |

Weird laundry tub dilemma- where to put it?

I have a laundry room on the main floor with the washer & drier there. There's no laundry tub, but there is this weird tap & drain pipe setup already there. They come up from the basement. The weird thing is that there's only a cold water tap- no hot water tap. Seems strange to me-there should be both to be of any real use I would think. And I'm not sure how I would install the tub there with that drain pipe?
I'm leaning towards the other option-to put it in the basement, which already has a small sink hookup there. The trouble there is the drainage- it seems to drain into my sump hole, and if you runt the water for any length of time it starts coming up through this little hole in the floor next to the drain pipe that goes into the floor. Look at the pics, maybe that will make more sense...
So, I want to know how I could properly drain the tub if I put it in the basement. I could take out the small metal sink there. The taps are above, mounted on some support posts. My main drain pipe is located diagonally to the left of the sink in the far corner, but it would have to drain uphill to reach it (?!)
Any advice is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Weird laundry tub dilemma- where to put it?-dscf2622.jpg   Weird laundry tub dilemma- where to put it?-previous-owner-lr.jpg  

glamgirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
DIYFrau

This is the current basement setup- pretty ugly!
Attached Thumbnails
Weird laundry tub dilemma- where to put it?-dscf2693.jpg   Weird laundry tub dilemma- where to put it?-dscf2690.jpg   Weird laundry tub dilemma- where to put it?-dscf2691.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

that hole next to it looks like part of a wye,should have a plug in it. as for the rest of it all i can say is dammmmmmn! Id say its time to start from scratch with proper 2" standpipe and drain with a 2" vent tied into it
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #4

I'm wondering if that receptacle beside the basement sink is GFI protected?Then there is the extention cord on a floor that gets flooded.Power bar on the shelf above sink?(think toaster in the bathtub)
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #5

you'll be happier with it in laundry room
Old 02-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #6

Yeah I'd swap that outlet for a GFCI right away of not already protected
I'd take the surge off it until it is protected

That sink is worth $$...it s an antique !!
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #7

must mean i'm worth smethin i fall in that category
Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #8

You should not drain the laundry sink or washing machine into the sump pump pit although you might get away with it. It is possible for an ordinary sump pump to be damaged over the long run by handling sudsy water possibly with lint in it as opposed to ground water; you could substitute a sewage ejector pump.

A trap on a sink drain jury-rigged into a sump pump pit does not perform any function although it may have been done that way just because the sink came with a trap.

A washing machine will work with just cold water and will work just as well without a hot faucet for those folks who believe in using only cold water to wash clothes. A cap (can be a garden hose spigot cap) over the hot inlet of the machine is needed to prevent water that may cross over due to imperfect valve closure from getting all over the floor.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-20-2010 at 10:32 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
DIYFrau

I realize the electrical near the sink is a bad idea...I don't know WHAT the last owner was thinking! I have to get an electricain to come in & move it. For the record, I'm NOT using that sink...I ran some water just to see where it drained to....and the pipe leaked onto the floor at the 'u' bendy part, as well as draining into the sump and came up through that little hole too. I figured sudsy, or more likely paintbrush water wouldn't be good for the sump, but how would I hook up a proper drain for it? Could I run ABS from the laundry tub to the main drain? If so, how do I get it to go UP the pipe to reach it?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #10

If water has to go up to get from the sink to the drain pipe, then you need a pump. A sewage ejection system is very similar to a sump pump system except that the components are generally made of different materials, such as a plastic holding tank in the hole in the floor as opposed to just brick or concrete sides. The sewage pump is connected to the drain pipe that the sink could not reach but the regular sump pump should not be connected there.

If the water only has to go up a little, you might get away with no pump and mounting the sink higher, putting it up on blocks, or giving it longer legs.

You can tap into the drain pipe closer to the floor, too. The washing machine needs a 2 inch drain system with its own trap preceded by a vertical pipe going up at least 18 inches above where it ties into the rest of the drain system to accept the washing machine hose in a loose fit.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-20-2010 at 01:07 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #11

if you can do it you will be happier with the tub in the laundry room if there is space for it imo