Weird Kitchen Sink Clog - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Weird kitchen sink clog

I don't know what's going on with my kitchen sink. It's a double sink, and one side has always worked perfectly, but the other side (the side with the garbage disposal) has always drained poorly. Each side of the sink has a separate p trap that goes into the wall. I don't know what happens to the pipes in the wall, but plunging one side has no effect on the other, if that means anything.

Anyway, I've tried everything to get this drain working right. I've tried plunging, chemicals, boiling water, and snaking. I've even had a plumber come out and snake it professionally. It worked ok for a couple days and then went back to awful.

It's currently completely stopped up. I can drain it easily by turning on the disposal, but get no drainage at all otherwise. When I stop the disposal, I get a little water bubbling back up afterwards. Why should this be? If the disposal can force the water down, shouldn't I at least get very slow drainage otherwise? Or be able to plunge it? I've tried snaking again, but I can't find any evidence of a clog.

What does all this mean? And how can I fix it? Please help. I'm at a loss!

--Chris

Advertisement

sillyboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

Weird kitchen sink clog

Are you sure the problem is not inside the disposer?

You need to do some troubleshooting to narrow down the problem.

YOu might disconnect the disposer and see how well it drains into a bucket. Then see how well the loose start of the drain pipe from the disposer feeds into the rest of the drain system.

A disposer does not create or apply pressure to force material down its drain.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Weird kitchen sink clog

Hello silly boy---Here is my suggestions for trouble shooting this---

One common problem--The p-trap was cut to long as it enters the trap connector,hitting the back of the T.

Sounds like you have two trap connectors -and two p-traps---can you see the piping from below?

Did the T into the same drain? was a second drain added without a vent?

Your plumber should have found the p-trap problem--however they are human and may have assumed that the original install was correct.

You may want to remove the disposer and temporarily install a simple strainer basket set up like the other sink---Just to eliminate the possibility that the disposer is the problem.

You may have to cut open the cabinet back and wall to rework the plumbing ---that is the next step --Good luck--Have fun--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #4

Weird kitchen sink clog

Well, I took off the p trap and ran the water through the disposal. The disposal seems to be draining fine, so I'm guessing it's not that. I really don't understand how the disposal could force the water down through a clog, though, especially if the drain is vented. Can someone explain this to me?

Mike - thanks for your ideas, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the p trap being cut too long. My basement is finished, so I can't see any pipes from below, so I don't know if the two sinks drain into the same pipe or not. It doesn't seem like it, from the clog.

Is it possible my snake is going up instead of down when it hits the T?

Thanks again!

--Chris
Old 02-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #5

Weird kitchen sink clog

Never mind the question about the snake going up. I just remembered there's a window above the sink. Duh. But I still need help! Thanks!

--Chris
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Weird kitchen sink clog

The P trap pipe entering the tee inside the wall--How do I explain this with out a picture--
I need Williet's magic pencil---

A p-trap has two parts--a u shaped one that connects to the garbage disposer--
And the horizontal one that goes from the U on the disposer,into the house drain.

That horizontal pipe is connected to a tee with the nut(trap connector)

If the horizontal pipe is left to long--it will hit the back of the tee and not flow properly ,

Kind of like drinking from a straw--shove that straw in your mouth to far and you'll hit the back of your throat.

Remove that part--How long is the bit inside the tee? should only be an inch or so past the nylon washer,--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #7

Weird kitchen sink clog

Ah, I get it now. I'll check into it. Thanks!

--Chris

Advertisement

Tags
clog , disposal , drain , sink