Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Share |

Weight of toilet fixtures

Redoing a small bathroom on a tight budget, time not a problem so I am trying to do a good job. We plan to install a new toilet. We have a standard 12" rough in. My problem is that I want to do this myself, but I am no longer able to bring a 120 lb toilet up the stairs and lift it carefully into place, and there is not really room to get two people in there to set it. I brought my old Gerber two piece down OK. I'd like a new one with very clean lines so it's easier to keep clean; but one piece of info which toilet manufacturers and sellers seem not to provide is the weight of the bowl section. I would have expected that to be a useful stat for a plumber -- will it take two of us to get this thing in place? Is there somewhere on line where I can compare toilets by the weight of the bowl so I can choose one that (a) makes my wife happy because it's easy to keep clean and (b) won't give me a permanent hernia? I can probably manage 70 or 80 lbs but not a lot more.

ex-Khobar Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #2

1-800 NUMBER!

Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #3

They make carts for stairs. The description of one says "as one wheel comes in contact with a stair, the wheel above it is still in contact (and absorbing all the weight) with the stair above." Not sure about setting it...maybe you can put sand or grease on the bathroom floor to help slide it.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Are you planning on positioning the bowl first, then attach the tank? It might be awkward, but doable.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Are you planning on positioning the bowl first, then attach the tank? It might be awkward, but doable.
A lot of people use this method.
I just checked an online retailer- Toto and A.S. elongated bowls weigh about 60lbs. I didn't check the tank weight, but I'm sure it's less
Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

I do not know of any toilet that weighs 120 pounds. It is amazing how light they are now days, and even lighter when you break them down, and carry the bowl in one trip, the tank in the other, then the lid.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #7

Toilets do not weigh that much anymore. I would suggest you bring both parts up to the second floor assemble the toilet then set the thing in place with a wax seal...
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Toilets do not weigh that much anymore. I would suggest you bring both parts up to the second floor assemble the toilet then set the thing in place with a wax seal...
Actually best way would to set the bowl, get it even so it is same measurement on the left & right from the wall, tighten down, then set the tank and get that set so it appears even from the wall, then you are done.

As for the wax ring, easier these days to use a No-Wax ring, since in some households, it seems that it becomes a every few months pulling the toilet if you have kids, but also if you are in the middle of a bath remodel, and only have the one bath, you do not have to replace the ring every time you pull the unit.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I do not know of any toilet that weighs 120 pounds. It is amazing how light they are now days, and even lighter when you break them down, and carry the bowl in one trip, the tank in the other, then the lid.

Mine does .... with my old lady sitting on it..

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Mine does .... with my old lady sitting on it..
Lets hope she does not see this post, or you will be in for it.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Roofmaster

If lifting a toilet bowl gives you a hernia, you need to get to the gym, fast. Like me.

That being said, I ALWAYS set the bowl first, then attach the tank to the bowl. If the floor is off a little, you can still level the tank left to right, and front to back. Saves the back, too.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #12

I could have been clearer. The ones with the nice lines to them are almost all one piece, and they can and do weigh upwards of 100 lbs. And there are some fancy two piece units where the bowl weight is up there, because in order to get the surface to have a minimalist look, they just use more porcelain. Anyway thanks for your help: I have bought a ToTo Drake and I think I can manage that.
ex-Khobar Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #13

NO No have someone else set it. If you are not sure, it is not worth the risk. When I need something heavy moved I call the cable company then I just give the guy 20 bucks. Every year they raise my rates so I do not feel the least bad about doing that.

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote