Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #1

Share |
Question

weeping tile/sump pump question

I recently had a sewer backflow valve put in. My weeping tile was connected to the trap of my basement drain previously. I had only one incident of sewage backup into my basement and have never had any problems with water through my walls or floor. I was told that I needed a sump pump to connect to the weeping tile and to disconect the weeping tile from my sewage. This makes sense to me because if the backflow valve engages, there would be nowhere for the water to drain. Everything was installed perfectly and there is a plastic pipe where the weeping tile is tied into the sump pump. I also have a battery backup secondary pump. My only concern is that there is always water coming in the weeping tile pipe. My pump goes off a couple times an hour even if it hasn't rained in days. The plumber did let me know that my tile pipe was much lower in the ground than typical. If I unplug the pump, the water fills up to the level of the bottom of the pipe and then stops. Should I see if the pump can be adjusted to only trigger if the water rises above this level? I have a feeling the tile is low enough to capture some ground water. The pump drains into my downspout outside my house.

SG243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #2

weeping tile/sump pump question

1. The weeping tile system must not be connected to the sewer or to a septic system.

2. Depending on the water table level, it is possible for the sump pump pit to fill to a certain level and stop. If the water table rose due to a lot of rain, it could take more than a week for it to go back down. You can try to set the sump pump float to not come on so soon, but generally you should not allow the weeping tile pipes entering the pit to be completely submerged.

The gravel filled trench containing the weeping tiles must provide an air pocket all the way around the perimeter of the house for ground water to seep in instead of seep up through the basement floor. If you let the pipes entering the pit get submerged, it is trial and error about how much of the layer of gravel above the pipes is not yet water soaked. A problem is most likely to show up as water on the basement floor at the far corner from the sump pump pit.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-11-2010 at 08:54 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
backflow valve, basement, sump pump, weeping tile