WC Plumbing Code Violations??? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

WC Plumbing Code Violations???

So I purchased a 2 family house knowing that it needed extensive renovations, including major repairs to the plumbing system (luckily I already intended on upgrading/replacing the system). I pulled a drop ceiling down in a kitchen and found this:

To give you an idea of what you're looking at, there is a bathtub drain (left side of photo) feeding through multiple no-hub connections (used to splice in a P trap and correct a significant misalignment of the tub drain and horizontal pipe) and a P trap (at ~45 degree angle), uphill into one side of a toilet drain (middle of photo), and a lavatory sink drain feeding into the other side of the toilet drain. In addition to the fact that this setup resulted in sewage leaks into the kitchen of the downstairs unit, I am sure that it is full of code violations. While I fully intend on removing all of this - required by city inspector, as there were obviously no permits or inspections - I am curious about whether some of these observations are legal:

Obviously, no drain should flow uphill...

1) Is it legal to use a no-hub in this manner?
2) Is it legal to use the toilet drain as a common horizontal drain (rather than having the toilet feed into a common horizontal drain)? Taking this question one step further, is it legal to use a double wye to tie a fixture into the side of a toilet drainpipe, if at all?
3) A P trap is less effective in any position other than vertical. Is there a specific code that prohibits this?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
WC Plumbing Code Violations???-20110725-024745.jpg  

Advertisement

silvajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

What is your location?
1. nohubs can be used to convert dissimilar materials, however they must be properly aligned and the pipe must be supported
2. UPC does not allow a drain line to tie into the toilet arm. But I don't know your local code and preexisting permitted work is usually excepted by inspectors.
3. P trap requires a minimum 2" trap seal(I think). I have installed them at 45 degrees and passed inspection. Not ideal though.
I see double y's in older homes all the time. One side for the lav and the other for a tub. They look cleaner then yours though

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
silvajus (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the quick reply! The house is located in Easton, PA. This bathroom was not present at the time of the last inspection in 2006, so this is newer work (work that would not pass inspection in the last 5 years...at least the grading of the tub drain). There were no inspections (the inspector indicated that the city had no knowledge of this addition).

Interesting that you mention support; the entire system is supported by the soil stack (off the right side of the photo) and the fixtures...there is no other support present.
silvajus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code violations , plumbing , plumbing codes , toilet