Which Way To Route Shower Plumbing? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

which way to route shower plumbing?

Hi,
I'm redoing all of my tub plumbing as part of a full reno job. I'm installing a three way set, spout, fixed shower and hand shower. I'm putting the hand shower wall outlet on the side opposite the fixed shower head so it can be used whilst bathing and what not. It's a standard three wall 60" tub. The long wet wall is also an exterior wall.

My question for you is this. Should I route the copper up through the top plate, into the attic, across ceiling and down through the top plate of the opposite wall, or is it okay to bore holes in the exterior wall studs and route it through that wall? I'm wondering if there is any sort of standard for routing plumbing through exterior facing walls like that. Code violation possibly?

As far as difficulty it would probably be easier to go the attic route since fitting would be easier. It would be far more direct, shortest route and cheaper to go the wall route. Also no fears of someone accidentally trodding on the plumbing while rummaging around in the attic.

Thanks for the Input !!
Eric

Advertisement

everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't see where you are located, but we never run plumbing in the attic, and preferrably not in outside walls, due to potential for freezing. But check local code, they have the final say.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

plumbing should not go in exterior walls. Any leaks or even condensation will ruin the insulation as well as be trapped in this wall cavity. Only run plumbing in interior walls.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'm in Austin, TX. I may be really screwed here then. I guess I should have thought this through before I spend a ton of cash on all of this plumbing. The only other way besides ceiling and exterior wall would be to go around the entire room, over the door jam and back down. That would be like a 20 foot shower run.

I'm really at a loss what to do now. I know what you mean about leaks in the exterior wall. There is a hose bib on this same wall which I'm about to go out and change since it's exposed. It evidently leaked before I bought the place and there is a big hole of rotted masonite around it that's been covered over with a trim piece. However that's a fitting. Why would a properly fitted hard copper line leak or be any more prone to leaking that it would on an interior wall (all of which are insulated as well)?

Regards,
Eric
Old 02-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

When you run drain lines or vent lines in an exterior wall you no longer have the same required space to install sufficient insulation. In an exterior wall you have more moisture trying to move due to colder or warmer air on one side or the other. The interior walls are both in the same conditioned space. In Texas you will not have the same exterior wall condition we have to deal with in colder climates. If you go in the exterior wall keep the pipes as close to the center as possible and use spray foam around them. Use PEX water lines instead of copper. The PEX will handle the cold much better.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Use PEX water lines instead of copper. The PEX will handle the cold much better.
Thanks Bob,
I'll look into the PEX. I've never used it before. I have to figure out how to join it to the copper that's already in place.

Regards,
Eric
Old 03-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

You can use a Sharkbite coupling which will slide onto the copper and onto the PEX
Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
You can use a Sharkbite coupling which will slide onto the copper and onto the PEX
I just saw these at the Depot. Pretty cool stuff. I love sweating copper though. It has all the elements of fun. I think I will use the PEX for this one run, but I don't think I'm ready to hang up my torch
Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Then carry your torch over to the area and use a copper female adapter. Then use a pex male adapter with three or more wraps of teflon tape and connect the two.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Did you figure out where you're running your line? If not, is there space under the tub (the area between the back of the tub and the wall) to run pex to other wall and up? I'd do about anything to keep the pipe out of an exterior wall...regardless of location...
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
Did you figure out where you're running your line? If not, is there space under the tub (the area between the back of the tub and the wall) to run pex to other wall and up? I'd do about anything to keep the pipe out of an exterior wall...regardless of location...
Huh, hadn't thought of that. You know that might could work. I may just do that thanks. It's a new Kohler cast iron villiager. If there's a way to snake something though the back side while the walls are off. It could work. I'd just have to figure out some way to secure it so that it doesn't bang against the tub.
Eric

Last edited by everyman; 03-03-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Your welcome....if you go with PEX, just use the plastic clips nailed to the floor or wall on each end of the tub, it wouldn't take much. While your at it...slip the PEX through some pipe insulation and then most likely you would not need fasteners. Good Luck!

Advertisement