Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

Share |

"waxless" toilet flanges

Need any and all opinions on the "waxless" flanges...specifically the Fernco brands.. Anybody have any experience with these...Good or bad?
Thanks

billyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
Limited Experience

"waxless" toilet flanges

First. I am NOT a plumber.

I switched to a waxless horn setup 10 to 15 years ago as the wax wasn't working in my house. There was enough season to season flex in my 1961 house that the toilets would not stay flat to the floor year round. And so we would have some rocking that would change throughout the year. Shim it to fix and 6 months later it would have to be done again. And so the wax always leaked after a few months. Smell and all.

So I put in a horn setup from I think Lowes (one where a large rubber ring washer seals the horn to the drain pipe) PLUS I used exterior window flashing seal to make a seat between the toilet and the tile floor. This is a rubber like material about 6" wide that comes on a roll with one side having an adhesive. I put this down around the toilet, installed the toilet, trimmed the rubber with a knife, the put a bead of caulk around the base. Have had no issues for over a decade. I'm sure the floor still flexes season to season but the rubber seal under the toilet and the horn keep it all firm and tight.

raleighthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #3

"waxless" toilet flanges

Billi, why do you want to use one instead of the wax?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

"waxless" toilet flanges

I'm always trying to look for something potentially better... I presume you feel the tried and true wax system is all that's needed?
billyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #5

"waxless" toilet flanges

Never tried this rigid looking type of ring, but one immediate problem I see is that on the Amazon comment section people mention they'd glued it onto the bottom of the toilet, etc... and how the heck is it ever going to come off again? Also if it truly is rigid then the mating surface better be perfectly smooth (bottom of toilet) to get a perfect seal. And they rarely are.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something though.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Limited Experience

"waxless" toilet flanges

The ones you get at Lowes and such have a very thick rubber O Ring that you put on it and force it down into the drain. The horn is a rubberized material that the toilet fits down into.

raleighthings is offline   Reply With Quote