Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Share |

Wax Ring Replacment and Toilet Leak

I am replacing the wax ring on my toilet. I have done this a few times on the same toilet over the last few years. The problem that I am having is that after a number of months, some grout around that bottom of the toilet(around the of the neck of the toilet that is sitting on the floor) begins to darken like it is getting wet with moisture. It is not in an area that would be darkened by urine(unless someone is a REALLY bad shot).

I believe that the wax ring is installed correctly and the bowl is sitting as level as I can get it to. Any suggestions? Is it necessary to caulk between the floor and bottom edge of the toilet that sits on the floor or will that only trap the moisture that is potentially leaking? Thanks!

kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Having grout that darkens does indicate a seal leak to me, hopefully you are cleaning that grout with each new seal application. I'm wondering if you are actually squeezing the seal down enough to get a good seal. You may want to try one of the thicker toilet seals at this application. When you set the toilet with the new seal does the bottom of the toilet stand "proud" of the floor level just a bit, or is it pretty well sitting on the floor already? No room for squeezing is what I'm saying. As far as caulking: I don't do this unless the customer wants it for appearance reasons only. And then I will not caulk all the way around. How do you know if you have a leak if you do caulk all around? I will caulk but leave two or three "weep-holes" in the line of caulk.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Tileguy

Use a second wax seal.

DO NOT caulk or grout around the base of the toilet so as to completely seal the footprint, always leave the back open.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #4

I have been using a ring with a bell. Just get a second without a bell and set it on top of the other? Thanks.
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
Just get a second without a bell and set it on top of the other?
Yes. Or, you can also get a seal with a built-in funnel that has a taller wax ring.

If, when you place the toilet on the drain, it immediately sits on the floor you don't have enough seal in there. You should have to kinda wiggle the toilet downward (to the floor) forcing the seal to expand. Don't use the bolts to draw it down. Sit on it to position it. Then snug the bolts.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote