Watts Up With HD's Product Line? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

Watts up with HD's product line?

Hi;
I purchased a 25ft roll of Polyethylene tubing from Home Depot this morning.
It is labeled Watts SPGE25.
I needed to get some info on this tubing, and called a Watts rep.
Specifically, I wanted to make sure this tubing is OK with potable water supply and what fittings I needed to use to connect it.

When I called the Watts rep and gave him the part number for the tubing, he could not identify it.
I did some Googling, and found that apparently this tubing comes from a large roll of general use polyethylene tubing made by Watts.
When Watts sells the tubing to HD, they put a specific part number on it, which no Watts rep would know about.

So, what I was trying to find out is whether this tubing is the same as Watts PEX tubing.
I am only using it for cold water anyway, so it really isn't important as to whether it is up to the full specs of PEX.
From what I have read, polyethylene tubing is generally OK for potable water, and various other food stuffs.

BTW; I only had to use a couple inches of the 25ft roll!

FW

Advertisement

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Generally speaking, PE is fine on your potable water system. However, PE piping isnt the same as any PEX tubing whether WATTS or some other brand but should be fine for your application.

Advertisement

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
Generally speaking, PE is fine on your potable water system. However, PE piping isnt the same as any PEX tubing whether WATTS or some other brand but should be fine for your application.
Thanks for the info.
I have been doing some reading on PEX, and I am getting the idea that it's not just the tubing, but it is a whole system of tubing and fittings that has been approved for use for potable water, as well as hot water.

That has got me thinking that perhaps PEX may be the solution to replacing some old and worn brass pipe leading to the sink and dishwasher.
OTOH, it is probably very expensive compared to standard copper.

It would seem best suited for pre-fabs and situations where a lot of movement is possible (mobile homes, etc).

I like the way the PEX manifolds look with all the tubing coming into and leaving them. Looks pretty much like an electrical service panel<g>

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote