DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Watts radiator valve

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Marqed97 
#1 · (Edited)
A few questions since I've never seen one of these valves in person.

1. Is the attached diagram correct?

2. Is the male thread marked "To Radiator" a separate nipple that is not actually physically one piece with the valve proper? It screws into the female radiator thread and is then tightened up to the valve using the union?

3. If there were a valve like this one on the supply line, and also one on the return line, and if both valves were closed, could the radiator be removed from the system without having to drain it? In other words, can you use two of these valves as both control valves and shutoff valves?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
1 - YES
2- YES, the nipple and union come off the valve. The nipple gets tightened into the radiator, however NOT with the union nut. There is a special tool that sticks into the nipple and you put the wrench on that. We call them radiator valve spuds, have forgotten the correct name years ago. Put your fingers in the nipple and you will two nubs that stick out. Short of buying the tool, dig through your tools, usually a crescent wrench or channel locks fit depending on size. Use a crappy pair you don't care about because the torque will screw them up.
3- Maybe, these valves aren't the most reliable for 100% shut-off. I wouldn't spend the money. Put one valve in and time your removal during warm months. You can also close the one valve, partially drain the system just enough to get the water out of the radiator, do your work and put it back. If this is an upper level radiator, not a big deal. Lower level, lots of water to drain and re-fill

#4 ·
A few questions since I've never seen one of these valves in person.

1. Is the attached diagram correct?
Yes.

2. Is the male thread marked "To Radiator" a separate nipple that is not actually physically one piece with the valve proper? It screws into the female radiator thread and is then tightened up to the valve using the union?
Yes

3. If there were a valve like this one on the supply line, and also one on the return line, and if both valves were closed, could the radiator be removed from the system without having to drain it?
Yes, but only if the water is already drained from the radiator, or you will have to deal with the water that is isolated in the radiator. These valves work fine for ALL THE WAY OFF.

In other words, can you use two of these valves as both control valves and shutoff valves?
NO. THESE ARE NOT CONTROL VALVES. They should ONLY be used as ALL THE WAY ON or ALL THE WAY OFF.

You should get some sort of control valve. Check out www.heatinghelp.com they have LOTS of great info for hydrionic heating systems.

#5 ·
Markus, thanks for the clarfication about how the nipple is tightened into the radiator. Leah Frances, thanks for the caveat about not using them as control valves.

I've been searching the internet for radiator valves. Some are called Shutoff Valve. Others are called Control Valves. But others are just called Radiator Valves, for example:

http://products.ecc.emea.honeywell.com/europe/ecatdata/pg_mira-3.html

I assume this is a control / regulator valve, not a shutoff valve, because it can be converted to thermostatic operation?

#6 ·
Imperative Will Robinson!
Do NOT use a thermostatic valve without verifying your piping schematic.
American hot water boiler systems typically use a continuous loop pipe system. If you put thermostatic valves on such a system radiators down the line won't get squat for water flow.
European hot water boiler systems typically are run with main feeders and branches to individual radiators so thermostatic valves are standard use.

#8 ·
I heed the warnings. I am in the early stages of coming up to speed on the subject.

In my 1940s house, each radiator is fed by 1/2" black iron pipe that branches off the main supply line, and each radiator has its own return to the main return line, as in the attached diagram. I should be able to close off a radiator without affecting anything downstream, right?

Attachments

#10 ·
My hot water boiler setup is similar. I have two 3.5" main lines in the basement east to west, and 6 spots where a feed and return hit them for each radiator (I do a lot of auto elec, the similarity would be that it's a parallel circuit). I know that shutting off any one of my radiators doesn't affect any of the others. I have one very large bedroom upstairs made from 2 smaller rooms and a radiator at each end. We usually turn one off or it gets too dang warm at night. As was said tho don't do anything until you're fully informed about your setup and how it operates, and comfortable with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.