DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Watertight HDPE pipe joints (

redhermes 01-05-2009 09:06 PM

Watertight HDPE pipe joints
I bought some landscape drain pipe to drain the water from my gutters away from the house. I was also sold some Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue (PVC cement) to join the pipe sections.

When I got home I noticed that the pipe is not PVC, but is HDPE (High-Density PolyEthylene).

A Google search indicated that HDPE pipe can not be joined with PVC cement but has to be joined with a special thermal process or some kind of gasket.

Could someone please let me know how to join the HDPE pipe to make a watertight seal. Is PVC cement safe to use on HDPE pipes?


Chemist1961 01-06-2009 07:38 AM

Dont know HDPE but I can tell you PVC glue is generally PVC only as are most pipe glues.You cannot mix and match unless specified on the lablel staying within the same family of materials ie sometimes pvc and cpvc. The glues create a chemical reaction with the specified material. See if there is a supplier name on the pipe and look up their website. If you need a perfect water tight fit , follow suppliers specs and do so with all chemical bonds.

Foozle 08-30-2010 05:27 PM

HDPE pipe and "transition" cement
I've been using HDPE pipe and "transition" (between PVC and ABS) cement with decent results. Definitely far better than with the black ABS cement, which simply became brittle and flaked off the HDPE.

The HDPE industry seems to be quietly ignoring this question...



LateralConcepts 08-30-2010 07:08 PM

Garden type corrugated HDPE pipe has a thinner wall and is more flexible. You shouldn't have to make any connections. It typically comes in rolls. You simply cut off what you need and it's pliable enough to run anywhere you need it to run.

As far as SDR17 HDPE (as used for pipe bursting); I only know of one way to join which is butt fusing, which requires expensive equipment that you won't want to purchase. Basically, there's a clamp that holds each pipe to be fused, a machine that looks like a meat slicer is placed between the two ends and rotates to shave them until they're smooth. A hot iron is then placed between the two until they've reached the appropriate temperature. They're then pressed together and held tight until a molecular bond is made. Thus, fusing the butts together permanently.

If you're simply using the corrugated poly pipe to drain water away from the house, it doesn't need to be water tight anyway. A few drips won't hurt. If it were me, I'd either cut a small slit in one, in order to fold it over on itself (like putting two drinking straws together) and push it into the other...

or use electrical tape. :thumbsup:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1