Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Share |
Default

water won't come back on


Hi. When putting in a new stopper unit in our bathroom sink, I had turned off the water lines under the sink. But when I tried to turn them back on again, all i got was a trickle out of the faucet. All the other faucets in the house work fine. Any body got any advice for this novice?

Thanks,
Joe

jowaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Louisville
Posts: 455
Default

water won't come back on


check your aerator and lines and make sure there isnt gunk in them. the aerator will come off either by hand or with a little push from a wrench, lines would just be a visual inspection.

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Water Treatment
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 734
Default

water won't come back on


Another thing that can happen is that the valve that you closed may not have opened up all the way.. close it and open it again.. if that does not work you may have to replace that angle stop valve as they are called.. but check the screen to make sure it did not plug up.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 400
Default

water won't come back on


It is common for an angle stop that hasn't been used in years to fail when closed. close angle stop, remove supply line at valve, open stop. to check for flow
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Default

water won't come back on


Thanks for everyone who responded to my call for help. As it turns out, the problem was that the little black washer must have broken up into debris and then washed right into the little holes on the spigot, shutting off the flow of water through the faucet. I'm not expressing myself well because I don't know the names of things, but I do know the name of gratitude: THANKS!!

Joe
jowaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Water Treatment
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 734
Default

water won't come back on


Quote:
Originally Posted by jowaffle View Post
Thanks for everyone who responded to my call for help. As it turns out, the problem was that the little black washer must have broken up into debris and then washed right into the little holes on the spigot, shutting off the flow of water through the faucet. I'm not expressing myself well because I don't know the names of things, but I do know the name of gratitude: THANKS!!

Joe
I know what you are talking about..

Simple trouble shooting, glad that all of us could put up ideas...
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,735
Default

water won't come back on


Little holes on the spigot = aerator. Learning new terms every day myself. Not sure where the broken peices of black washer came from though, possible the angle valve. I don't know why they can't make those things better. It's almost as if they are designed to fail. I have 1/4 turn ball valves on order. Hope they work better.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Water Treatment
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 734
Default

water won't come back on


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Little holes on the spigot = aerator. Learning new terms every day myself. Not sure where the broken peices of black washer came from though, possible the angle valve. I don't know why they can't make those things better. It's almost as if they are designed to fail. I have 1/4 turn ball valves on order. Hope they work better.
You should be happy with the 1/4 turn ball valves... I have changed out any number of my old style with the ball valves and they are so nice... they are on or off..... no are they????? turn and they are done...
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
Still going...
 
ChrisDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 980
Blog Entries: 19
Default

water won't come back on


Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
You should be happy with the 1/4 turn ball valves... I have changed out any number of my old style with the ball valves and they are so nice... they are on or off..... no are they????? turn and they are done...
Just don't buy any from Lowe's...Chris the DIY guy vs. "The Ranch"
__________________
--Chris the DIY Guy

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisDIY For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-30-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Water Treatment
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 734
Default

water won't come back on


I spend a little more , but I buy that kind of stuff from a plumbing supply house.. if it is not right, it is replaced with little to no questions.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Still going...
 
ChrisDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 980
Blog Entries: 19
Default

water won't come back on


Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
I spend a little more , but I buy that kind of stuff from a plumbing supply house.. if it is not right, it is replaced with little to no questions.
As much work as I am doing that is my next order of business is finding a plumbing supplier instead of Lowe's

__________________
--Chris the DIY Guy

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Main drain water back ups destroyer427 Plumbing 7 04-07-2009 12:58 PM
Cold water not working in washing machine. 68MHJCs Appliances 15 01-20-2009 05:18 AM
No Hot Water comeing out of Faucets gangstacro Plumbing 5 11-30-2008 03:32 PM
Filling a Cast Iron radiator system insulatorpro HVAC 7 10-06-2008 11:31 PM
(Water Heater MYSTERY) Hot water out from dead tank with cold water in it? Inayity Plumbing 6 07-14-2008 08:36 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.