Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
master of no trades

Share |

water well questions.

I just bought an older home I am updating and remodling as I live in it. I have an old water well I was checking out. the motor and pump (jet type) are siezed up. No fixing. I want to replace it but I do not want to spend a fortune on it. as I am on city water I do not need it I just want it working. the well is 150 feet deep and I hit water at approxamitly 75 feet. I want to use it to water the yard and fill my pool from time to time. With what should I replace it. what do you suggest.

Last edited by The Barber; 05-16-2008 at 10:07 AM.
The Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

water well questions.

Free bump : although I don't know enough about pumps to really answer your question, I do know that you definitely don't want to tie your well water into any water system in your house carrying city water without approval from the city and any other authorities that have jurisdiction over water, and IF they allow it, they will want it professionally installed with protection devices as well as permits and inspections....

However, if you're using it on a complete separate system, you will be fine.

good luck!

Old 05-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #3

water well questions.

I replaced my old pump, at last house for under a $100, take a look at the big box stores, they carry them. You could pipe it to a spigot for outside use. If you decide to use it for drinking water, get a water sample tested. I don't know the logistics, but at over 75' you might not be talking old style hand pump here, good luck to you.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
master of no trades

water well questions.

Thank you for replying guys! I will be using it as a separate system all together.
As I said I will be using it to fill my pool and water the lawn. I will not be tapping it into my house. Where I live almost all my neighbors have a well and they all have good drinking water. I probably will have it tested just to be on the safe side. When you say big box stores I do not follow you. Do you mean a local tool house store? Sam's wear house something like that?I didn't think about my local tool house store, I will check them out. The pump i pulled out of the well was one of the old jet type pumps. thanks again guys.
The Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #5

water well questions.

I was mistaken on your pump type, mine was not submersible, so I am wrong on the price, sorry, by big box store, I was refering to a home depot or a lowes, your local hardware store may indeed care them, at the least you could price them out there.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote