Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #1

Share |

Water use?

I live in a county that employs strict water conservation efforts to curtail use. As a result, this commodity is really expensive. My last bill came in at more than $1,300 for three months of use. According to my utility company, I used a total of 116,750 gallons. This included 30,100 gallons for lawn irrigation, which is measured using a separate sub-meter. It appears that their meter is accurate and I there doesn't appear to be any leaks in the system.

I have a family of four living in a relatively new home with a front loading, water efficient washer. According to my calculations, this means, according to my utility company and their meter, in a three month period (90 days) we consumed 963 gallons of water per day for household use.

That sounds impossible to me. The only thing I can think of is that part of my irrigation system is not running through the county required backflow device and sub-meter. Otherwise, how could I possibly be using that much water?

Thanks,
Kelly

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #2

Water use?

Wow. That sounds like a lot. My quarterly water bills are around $30. I'll check the usage when I find a bill.
http://www.drinktap.org/consumerdnn/....aspx?tabid=85

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #3

Water use?

I'm really beginning to think that my irrigation system was installed improperly and that some or most of it is not going through the sub-meter.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Eibwen

Water use?

WOW! Thats alot!

I only use around 300 gallons a day for a family of three. 30 year old house with some not so efficient toilets and my sprinklers [which are not run everyday] go straight thru the meter.

I would start a log and read your water meter several times a day.
Try and isolate the problem by readings before and after major water use events. ie dishwasher, laundry etc.

Be sure to get an accurate reading around the day you think the meter reader will be coming by also.

May be a bad meter or they just read it wrong.
I had that happen on my electric one time.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #5

Water use?

when I first started reading this, I thought maybe you owned a car wash or a laundrymat, here, only two of us, 197 days, 1800 gallons. I'm puzzled how you could possibly be using that much water.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #6

Water use?

Well, we live on about 1/2 acre, which is all irrigated. And we do water fairly regularly. I really think most of that use is the irrigation system, but only a portion of it is going through the sub-meter.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Eibwen

Water use?

Are ya'll on HRSD up there?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #8

Water use?

I just can not grasp that much water usage, something is missing, a decimal point maybe, that is more then just leaving the water running while brushing one's teeth.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #9

Water use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Are ya'll on HRSD up there?
Sure are.

There's been a lot in the media about their software changeover and the billing problems they've been having, but according to them, the bill is accurate.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
Eibwen

Water use?

Watch and keep all your water and sewer bills along with your own meter readings..

They got a new fancy computer a year ago so they could screw things up faster.

They forgot to bill me for eight months and then I got a bill in the mail every day for a week in August.

People out in Suffolk were getting 3-4K $$ water bills for only normal usage.

WAVY did a big series on it and they may still have something in their website archives.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #11

Water use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
People out in Suffolk were getting 3-4K $$ water bills for only normal usage.

WAVY did a big series on it and they may still have something in their website archives.
What was the outcome of the WAVY reports? I'm assuming the $3-4K bills were wrong.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #12

Water use?

I apolgize and thanks for no one pointing out that I must be reading my bill wrong, (wife handles that stuff) going by what I said, I must be tapped into my neighbors water line,,,,,,,,, carry on, if only I could find the delete button.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Eibwen

Water use?

Most people claim that eventually thier water bill was corrected..

But if a homeowner wasnt watching thier bill I can see if it were only slightly higher than normal where they may have paid it without noticing..

DUDE... I wasnt gonna mention it, but 9 gallons a day for two people are some short showers even if you share the water....
Old 11-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #14

Water use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
I apolgize and thanks for no one pointing out that I must be reading my bill wrong, (wife handles that stuff) going by what I said, I must be tapped into my neighbors water line,,,,,,,,, carry on, if only I could find the delete button.
Are you sure it's not measured in cubic feet?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #15

Water use?

A couple things you could try. Turn on the irrigation and watch your house meter to see if it is also registering. Most meters have a red triangle on the face that moves when even a small amount of water is going through the meter. This is a leak detector device. When you are sure no house water is running (even if the irrigation water is running) see if it is turning. Two of the biggest undetected water users are leaking toilet flappers or overflow tubes and humidifiers that fail to stop filling the reservoir and it goes to the drain. Check these. My water use when there were 4 people here was 900 gallons per month. Good luck.

Last edited by majakdragon; 11-23-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote