Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #1

Share |

Water Trapped Above Ceiling for Four Months- Dangerous?

There was a leak in the roof of my flat four months ago when I moved in. The flat occupies the 1st and 2nd floors above a shop and water was leaking into a room on the top floor from the roof, soaking the ceiling/cupboard a metre across then mostly travelling down to the floor and leaking from the ceiling below. There was obviously quite a large amount of rain water as there was a patch of carpet 3m diameter completely sodden on the 1st floor and some skirting boards were wet.

The leak was apparently patched up but it's not until today someone has finally come to sort out the damage mainly to the 1st floor ceiling/wall which is stained brown and bulging down along thje length of a ~2m crack and 1m wide ovan brown ring. The ceiling within the brown oval was too damp to paint and when pierced started dripping water, ~litre has come out in the last 2 hours and it's still dripping.

The house is reasonably old(1900-1930?) and not in the best condition. Is this dangerous? It's a rented house so there is little I can do other than continue to nag my agent and landlord, but having water freely leaking through the house for upto a month(the house was vacant a month before i moved in and the roof was done in this time which is presumably the cause of the leak i'm told- gutter was blocked with rubbish and cracked but cleared and "painted"???) and now has had water sitting in it for four months!

adelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Owner

Quote:
Is this dangerous? It's a rented house so there is little I can do other than continue to nag my agent and landlord, but having water freely leaking through the house for upto a month(the house was vacant a month before i moved in and the roof was done in this time which is presumably the cause of the leak i'm told- gutter was blocked with rubbish and cracked but cleared and "painted"???) and now has had water sitting in it for four months!
I'd say it's time to call an attorney.

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LateralConcepts For This Useful Post:
adelight (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralConcepts View Post
I'd say it's time to call an attorney.
What for? I honestly have no idea what to do or if their is any fault in the situation(would something like this mean the landlord breaching the contract?), this is my first time renting through a commercial agent.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #4

water plus materials plus heat equal mold for starts
adelight (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
water plus materials plus heat equal mold for starts
Yes there's visible mold (aside from where the leak got to, every external wall has mold somewhere), will there be mould inside the floor/ceiling?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #6

yes at least as much i would think. time to call the landlord. what a word Lord of the Land
adelight (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Owner

Quote:
What for? I honestly have no idea what to do or if their is any fault in the situation
The fault in the situation is the landlord not properly taking care of the property, thus charging you to live in unsanitary conditions. You said you had to continue to "nag" the landlord. If he's not taking responsibility, it's time to call an attorney.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
adelight (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
yes at least as much i would think. time to call the landlord. what a word Lord of the Land
Quote:
The fault in the situation is the landlord not properly taking care of the property, thus charging you to live in unsanitary conditions. You said you had to continue to "nag" the landlord. If he's not taking responsibility, it's time to call an attorney.
The landlord knows, the repairs were done by the landlord's handy man(gradually after calling him out a few times as it rained and leaked again) but nothing was checked to see if any real damage was caused or there was any water trapped. I asked for redecorating but it didn't happen until the agent visited in november and said they would send someone to decorate in the first two weeks of jan (ended up being today and now this whole week).

Am I safe to stay here? I'm not going to get clobbered on the head by a piece of my ceiling? Can the water have got into electrics somehow? There is a ceiling light near the brown stains and sockets in a wall which was very damp at the bottom at the time of the leak.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelight View Post
The landlord knows, the repairs were done by the landlord's handy man(gradually after calling him out a few times as it rained and leaked again) but nothing was checked to see if any real damage was caused or there was any water trapped. I asked for redecorating but it didn't happen until the agent visited in november and said they would send someone to decorate in the first two weeks of jan (ended up being today and now this whole week).

Am I safe to stay here? I'm not going to get clobbered on the head by a piece of my ceiling? Can the water have got into electrics somehow? There is a ceiling light near the brown stains and sockets in a wall which was very damp at the bottom at the time of the leak.
Doesn't sound like you need to decorate. Sounds like you need a professional restoration company to assess the damage, properly extract any water, remove damaged wood, drywall, mold remediation, etc.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
adelight (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Owner

http://www.therestorationresource.co...Dangerous.html
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
adelight (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Doesn't sound like you need to decorate. Sounds like you need a professional restoration company to assess the damage, properly extract any water, remove damaged wood, drywall, mold remediation, etc.
I've just spoken to the agent and said I want proof by some sort of surveyor that this is properly sorted out and safe. The landlord is now supposed to call me today.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #12

My landlord said there's no way to know 100% that the leak has stopped and that there is no trapped water, the repair guy will just climb in our loft tomorrow to look at the leak(not sure how as it is between two floors and the loft hatch is opposite side of the house where the ceiling is a good foot lower) and see what he can do and i'll just have to watch out for rain.
Still not happy, but I'll wait and see what he does tomorrow, i'm guessing either nothing or he's gonna fall through my ceiling.