Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Water tastes bad and looks funny

Hi

The water that comes of the kitchen sink tastes funny (as if it is mixed with something). When I filled up a glass of water and hold it to the light it seems to have a lot of bubbles (everywhere on the glass). When I do the same thing with the hot water there no air bubbles but it tastes just as funny. I canít drink the water as it does not sound like a good idea to me.

There are no problems in the bathroom however. The water is clean and tastes normal. So to drink or cook, I have to get water from the bathroom. Can someone help me understand whatís going on and maybe how I can solve this?

Thanks

bill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

I would start by getting the water tested by a competent laboratory. Take a sample of what you believe is "good" water from the bathroom, and a sample of what you believe is "bad" water from the kitchen. Once you know what is in the water making it taste bad and look odd, you can begin to narrow down the source.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

I am going to guess that there is a filter under the sink.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #4

yes, that's a good idea. I will get the water tested, any idea how much that costs?

Also, there is no filter under the sink. But whoever was there before me, painted over the flex tubes and teh shutoff valves. Can that have somethign to do with it.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

No, painting over them has nothing to do with it. If no filter under the sink, I would still go over the plumbing further. Keep looking, the culprit is there, or could be right on the sink.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Thanks Gregsoll. What do you mean follow the plumbing further? Where should look nexrt? I look under and aside from the flex tubes being painted over I don't notice anything and i dont know what to look for. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Second, as you said maybe the faucet itself is the problem as it is a bit old and has not been used for over a year I think. How do I make sure it's not the faucet. can I disconnect the faucet and test the water? if so how do I do that?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,990

Unscrew the aeriator on the faucet. It's the thing on the very end of the faucet where the water comes out.
Run some water in a clear glass and see what it looks like.
It's pretty common for them to plug up with silt and trash.
Some just make the water look like air bubbles are in the water. It does no harm just looks funny.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #8

ja Jocaption thanks. but I want to test the water without it going through the faucet. That way I make sure that it is not that.

It doesn't just look funny with airbubbles. It also tastes bad and in the bathroom the water has no bubbles and tastes good.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #9

Bill, did you try what joe suggested? I know my aerator has trapped lost of strange stuff: sludge, rocks, sand, etc. If you've not used this in a while who knows what's been growing in there... I'd check there first. You can also break the aerator down and check the pieces for further contaminates.

Otherwise you'll need to disconnect the faucet to test without.

Last edited by jeff1024; 08-07-2012 at 11:31 AM.
jeff1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #10

Hi,

Yes (sort of), I took the cap part out of the faucet but I'm not sure that's what you're refferring to or if that's just somesort of filter that was there, because water still comes normally but still tastes funny.

I think disconnecting the faucet and testing without is a better test. But how do I do that, should shut the water off? what and from where do I poor the water? how long do I let it run etc...?

Also, the guy there before me has changed the toilet with a new model. I don't know if that has anything to do with it however, since the water in the bathroom is fine.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #11

Hi,

Yes (sort of), I took the cap part out of the faucet but I'm not sure that's what you're refferring to or if that's just somesort of filter that was there, because water still comes normally but still tastes funny.

I think disconnecting the faucet and testing without is a better test. But how do I do that, should shut the water off? what and from where do I poor the water? how long do I let it run etc...?

Also, the guy there before me has changed the toilet with a new model. I don't know if that has anything to do with it however, since the water in the bathroom is fine.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

Shut off the valve.

If it's a flexible line, remove the nut where the cold supply line connects to the faucet. Then you can bend the line over into a bucket and let it run/take a sample.

If it's a hard line, remove the nut where the supply line connects to the shut off valve. Either run it off of there or buy a flexible supply line so you can direct it where you want.

burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water qualilty