Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #1

Share |

water system in home

we have a well and there is an issue with iron and sulphur, I am more concerned about the iron for it has ruined my bathrooms. The softner stopped working several years ago when we bought the home. I know the softner does not remove iron. Can I get an iron filter for the home and it remove iron without having a water softner. For some reason my husband will not put a softner in. He does not want to carry salt up and down the stairs. I am just trying to save my bathroom tubs and sinks not to mention the washer dryer and dishwasher. Thank you

loco moco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #2

water system in home

You can get a special iron and hydrogen sulfide filter and install it on your main line.
This might be a good option here:
http://www.home-water-purifiers-and-...ron-filter.php

The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Water Treatment

water system in home

When you moved in was the softener working?
How good was the softener working when it was working?
Was all of the iron getting removed?
How much of the smell was getting removed when the softener was working and on line?
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #4

water system in home

To get informed advice you really need to obtain and post a water analysis to include the quantity and type of iron, manganese, pH, and hardness at a minimum. A properly sized and spec'd water softener can handle significant quantities of clear water iron--but there are limits and at a point treatment specifically for the iron becomes necessary.

I don't recomment filters like the one posted above for whole house treatment with any significant quantity of iron because they are used up fairly quickly and are also prone to loading up and reducing water flow.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Water quality'n pump guy

water system in home

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco moco View Post
we have a well and there is an issue with iron and sulphur, I am more concerned about the iron for it has ruined my bathrooms. The softner stopped working several years ago when we bought the home. I know the softner does not remove iron. Can I get an iron filter for the home and it remove iron without having a water softner. For some reason my husband will not put a softner in. He does not want to carry salt up and down the stairs. I am just trying to save my bathroom tubs and sinks not to mention the washer dryer and dishwasher. Thank you
Grocery and hardware along with all big box stores sell Iron Out or Super Iron Out and that will remove the rust stains from your fixtures, appliances and clothes etc..

Softeners do remove iron but there is a rather high limit. Your odor will not be removed by a softener and if your present softener has not been by passed, it could be adding odor to the water since it isn't being regnerated.

Tell that guy that wants to sleep in your bed most nights that he is supposed to love'n obey you and that you need a water analysis and working equipment and that he is going to lug salt or whatever as needed or pay consequences he will not like. Head up, chest out, big smile and just TELL him to git'er done, no asking will or could or would he, tell him to do it and then stop smiling as you stare into his eyes until he looks away. That will work most times.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Licensed Master Plumber

water system in home

Well then, that was pretty demeaning and stereotypical
Old 05-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #7

water system in home

you'll make somebody a good wife Gary