Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #1

Share |

Water supply for shop?

I'm building a workshop about 100 feet from my house. The building site is about 10 feet from our well-head, and I'd like to have a wash sink in the new shop. I'd love to avoid trenching a water line all the way down to the house, but the site work guy said that's what we need to do.

It seems to me that the line coming up from the well has the same pressure as the pressure tank in the house-basement, so why can't I tap off the water line going from the well head to the house to supply the new shop?

The well head and shop are about 10 feet higher than the house. So the shop sink will be about the same height as the second floor bathrooms in the house.

Thanks!

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Water supply for shop?

Depending on whether you have a submersible or jet-type pump, but same principle. The water after a pump, in practical terms, has no pressure. Pressure is a matter of resistance. Once the water is pumped to a pressure/holding tank, that is where the pressure is built up. Tapping into the water line after a pump will only give you flow. You could install a separate tank in your shop so he water would build pressure there. But then you would have a pressure balance between the shop and home, unless you install certain valves. Not worth all of this. Find someone in your area who installs underground lawn sprinkler lines using a "vibratory sub-soiler". Pay the to lay only enough pipe from your home to the shop. That is what I did with 196 feet of 1" PVC, the finished off each end as I needed them. I think this cost me about $30 or so.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #3

Water supply for shop?

Given the grade, frost line, and our rocky maine earth - a $30 water line is not going to happen. It'll take a few hundred dollars and an excavator to get that done.

Regarding the pressure thing - the line between the pump and the pressure tank should have the exact same pressure as the water in the pressure tank, right? The pressure tank doesn't increase the pressure from the pump, because the pump is what is putting water in that tank until it hits the cut-off pressure. The pressure tank just provides more even pressure when the pump is cycling on and off. Without a pressure tank you'd have 0psi when the pump is off, and 60 or more pounds when the pump is on.

It seems to me that tapping the line upstream of the pressure tank is pretty similar to tapping the line downstream of the pressure tank. Either way the pressure tank is just maintaining even pressure in the entire system between pump cycles.

I know this is just my logical rationalization, and there my be practical reasons why this logic doesn't work. Well, I've got a plumber coming over in a few days to tell me if it can be done the way I've planned.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #4

Water supply for shop?

If permissable in your jursidiction, you might want to consider a hydrant. Being only 10' from the well, that should be a simple installation, and the nice thing is that you won't have to worry about it freezing.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 AM   #5

Water supply for shop?

The plumber I talked to about this says it will in fact work just fine, and he's done it many times.

You have to remove the check valve at the pressure tank, and then use a barbed tee, double hose clamps, etc to tee off the supply line up near the well-head.