Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Water supply line replacement

I need to have my badly leaking, old, galvanized supply line replaced; it runs from the meter near the street through the front yard, under an upstairs garage slab and into a basement storage room where it supplies the house.
I have had two quotes, both using "A" pex line. The difference in the two quotes is that one wants to run the new line to the house, go into the upstairs garage, up the wall and across the ceiling, down the wall and into the storage room near the floor of the garage.
The other wants to run the pex to the house and continue under the slab, just as the old line is run. This would involve boring through either the compacted fill under the slab, or the slab itself. This second method would be less noticeable, but I worry about the wisdom of boring through the slab or it's compacted fill material and how the pex line will hold up in that medium. I wonder if the compaction around the new line will sink and I'll have problems later with the garage slab. Both quotes are almost identical in price. Any ideas or comments on which is best or wisest to do?

bamaknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

I would go for the first one as it is more accessible for future repairs, and not the slab. PEX is definitely the way to go.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #3

Where are you located? In a warm environment, I'd consider the first... in the cold, second. It sounds like the fist will have a bunch of fittings...not that they will leak...it's just a point to consider. I like to avoid as many fittings/ turns as possible.

If the quotes were the same...I'd go under the slab, depending on your soil they will be deep enough to not affect the integrity of the slab, and PEX is durable and will be fine underground.

Tags
"boring under slab", "water supply"