Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #1

Share |

Water storage tank

The water supply for the house I am renovating comes from a spring on a hill behind the house. The water pressure is gravity fed. I am currently redoing the plumbing in the house and I picked up a booster pump to help with the low pressure(16 psi at the main). Now I am wondering if I should add a storage tank before the pump so it doesn't run dry, and what type of tank I should get.
Thanks,

gseith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 AM   #2

Water storage tank

A storage tank would help even out pressure highs/lows, and provide some backup supply. The tank should be compatible for potable water. Check local codes. Definitely needs a pump to increase pressure.

I don't understand how you get along with 16# pressure.......how long does it take to get a glass of water???

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

Water storage tank

I timed it once; it took 1 minute to fill up a 5gal bucket. I already have a pump. I assumed I would need it since I added an upstairs bath that wasn't there before. I am just unsure on what type of storage tank I would need. Since I am running a booster pump after the tank do I need a pressure switch on the tank like a well?
Thanks,
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #4

Water storage tank

WHen you install a pump in a previously gravity fed water system you need a tank after the pump to provide an air cushion. Water goes in and out of the tank to maintain the system pressure within a fairly narrow range, say between 30 and 35 PSI.

It is important that the tank not fill up completely with water, losing the air cushion. If the tank does not have a bladder, the water will gradually absorb the air cushion and every month or so it is necessary to add air, usually through a spring loaded valve similar to a tire fill stem/valve on top.

A pressure switch is needed after the pump. Putting the switch in the tank usually gives the smoothest pump operation. No pressure switch is needed in a storage tank before the pump.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-06-2011 at 12:24 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #5

Water storage tank

I bought this pump
http://www.daveyusa.com/daveyusa/pro...ails.htn?id=16
The pump is supposed to regulate the pressure. After I purchased the pump I started worrying about there not being enough water to constantly supply the pump, so I thought I could add a tank before the pump. Is this going to be possible?
Thanks,
Old 06-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #6

Water storage tank

Bump.