Water Spigots In Crawl Space - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

water spigots in crawl space

We have a home that was built in 1930 and under the house in the crawl space there is a water spigot installed about every 15ft in the main water line that runs from one side of the house to the other. I would say there are about 5 of them.

I have 2 questions, first why? Only possible reason I could think of was that the foundation was replaced some time ago, looks like a lot of new concrete under there so possibly they installed it to mix concrete while under the house?

Second should I be worried that these may spring leaks, I have used one before (very convenient) and it worked fine with no leaking. Should I replace these will newer ball type or are they fine?

Also there is electrical outlets under there too (also convenient) possible grow house?

Advertisement

linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I am a real big "if it ain't broke don't fix it type of guy", so if they are not dripping, they should be fine.

Besides, that seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to to grow tomatoes.

Advertisement

broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,046

A previous owner had some water consuming equipment down there. Some moonshine stills?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I think you have to use springwater for moonshine.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

i see that a lot for winterizing pipes (doesn't work too well). Portland isn't exactly the coldest area, but maybe the old owners were snowbirds and spent the winters in cali. like someone said above, if it ain't broke, don't mess with it. Take em out when they start to leak
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
WDR

You could always just screw caps on them. They could still leak around the stem but not out of the spout.
WDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #7

Thanks all,

I try to avoid going down there if at all possible so my fear was that if one sprung a leak it could be leaking for many months before I would find it. Maybe i'll just leave them be and get one of those water alarm things.

There are lots of other odd things about his house, like the previous owner put in this generator, I assume it was pretty large given that it was powering like 7 circuits and 3 were 220v and the crazy thing is it was all done right (nothing is this house was done right), wired into the panel when the generator starts it shuts off city power breaker and it would auto start if power went out. Pretty odd because we have underground power lines where we live and in the 2 yrs i have lived there the power has never gone out. Also 2 of those 220v circuits terminate in the crawl space, the inspector was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and suggested that maybe they had a boiler or heater of some type under the house...

Advertisement

linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote