Water Softner Resin In The Tap Water - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water softner resin in the tap water

I found tiny golden pellets in our bath water and clogging an aerator suddenly today. I eventually figured out they were bits of resin from the water softener and shut it off with the bypass valve.

The softener is a Fleck 5600 that came with the house making it more than 10 years old. I replaced the control head myself 4 years ago so really only the resin tank and everything in it are old.

Can you give me some idea what part needs to be replaced before I start taking it apart?

Thanks! - Tom

Advertisement

retrofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,208

May I suggest you'd be better off replacing the softener with a new one. I've never had one that even lasted ten years.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

When you replaced the control head, did the distributor come up any?

It is possible that the bottom of the distributor cracked when putting the control back and pushing down on the distributor and it has finally given way.

There are systems that can last well past the 10 year mark. Not sure of the systems that you have been dealing with or the water quality.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I'd much rather not replace the whole thing, especially since the controller is only 4 years old and should have some life left in it.

I don't remember much about putting it back together, but I did have the same thought that maybe I applied some downward pressure on the tube. I'll start by checking the bottom distributor, and now that I know what its called, should be able to order a new one if it's damaged.

I'm debating whether to change the resin while I'm in there, depending on how it looks and how much is missing.

Thanks!
retrofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Depending on the age of the system and the water quality as to time for replacing the resin.. yours might have gravel at the bottom..
Should you order a new distributor you will need to know the size of the tank in height..

To many today are use it and then put in the dump, I would rather replace parts if they can be had and keep a system going till the time is truly there that says it is time to replace.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote