Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #1

Share |

water softner puddle

Hi, brand new to this. Need some help with a water softner. Seems the last 2 days I have had water draining from the pipe coming from the water softner. I know it does this occassionally, but it seems to be continous now. Because of this I have a puddle of water with a milky scum on top in my yard where the pipe drains to. Any suggestions? Hubby thinks I'm dramatizing the whole thing and just because I don't know how something works doesn't mean I don't know when it isn't working "as usual". Please help!

photophreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Water Treatment

water softner puddle

There is what is called a drain line from the softener, it is for when the system regens or cleans.. like the washer dumping the water from a wash cycle..
That could be what you are seeing.
Then there are some units that have a problem with the inner workings of the valve and water goes to the drain even while in the service mode.
More information on the brand of system and some of the other things that might be going on and as always photos are worth a 1000 words.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

water softner puddle

Yeah, I know it does that when it regens but it has been doing it for 2 days now. The water in the house is OK, pressure and all normal but outside....... That's why my husband says there is nothing wrong, but I still say there is! I can tell by the sounds it makes when someone has flushed a toilet, the washer or dishwasher is running and when the system clicks at regular intervals over and over and over and over, etc again I know that I left water running outside. I have no water running outside except for the water coming out of the drain hose (so the constant clicking] and the milky scum puddle.
photophreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Water Treatment

water softner puddle

What is the brand of system?
It is either stuck in part of its cycle.. motor no longer working to move it to the next step.
Or it is a bad seal with in the system and while it looks to be in service there is water running to the drain.
Either case means that the system needs a going over to find out what the problem is.
If you are on a well then most likely the pump is running more than it should and the elect bill will be higher and the life of the pump shortened.
City water that you pay for the gallons then that bill will be higher.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote