Water Softner Issue - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water softner issue

I have a Culigan Mark 89 water softner. I rebuilt the head approx. 5 years ago and the unit has worked great up until approx 2 weeks ago. I have had the softner set to run every single night and my water is still hard. I'm still putting salt into it so I know it is being used.

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

usmc0300

Advertisement

usmc0300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Water softner issue

If the unit is set to cycle every night and the water usage has not changed and the water coming into the home has not changed then the most likely thing would be that the resin needs to be replaced.
It is possible that the piston has a seal that is out of place and letting water go by the valve head untreated into the home.
What is the water level in the brine tank? normal or high?

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

Water softner issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
If the unit is set to cycle every night and the water usage has not changed and the water coming into the home has not changed then the most likely thing would be that the resin needs to be replaced.
It is possible that the piston has a seal that is out of place and letting water go by the valve head untreated into the home.
What is the water level in the brine tank? normal or high?

Normal.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #4

Water softner issue

I checked the drain and water is leaving the unit. I did re-check the salt ben and it was dry and the salt I put in it was still at the same location it was when I put it in approx. a week and a half ago. I did go through the settings by turning the dail and the unit works but when it gets to the part when water should go into salt bend the unit stops working but still goes through the rest of the cycle. I could be wrong but maybe the electricaL box with all the setting and timer is bad. But I really don't know.

Last edited by usmc0300; 02-08-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Water Treatment

Water softner issue

So if the water level in the brine tank has not changed, ie it is where it should be.
Water coming into the house has not changed , the water usage in the house has not changed, no water going to the drain when the unit is in service... then about the only other thing would be the resin.
The Mark 89 only has .6 cubic of resin in the tank under the control valve.
If the unit dates back to the late 80's early 90's and the hardness is up around 10, then I would be looking at the resin.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

Water softner issue

I checked the drain and water is leaving the unit. I did re-check the salt ben and it was dry and the salt I put in it was still at the same location it was when I put it in approx. a week and a half ago. I did go through the settings by turning the dail and the unit works but when it gets to the part when water should go into salt bend the unit stops working but still goes through the rest of the cycle. I could be wrong but maybe the electricaL box with all the setting and timer is bad. But I really don't know.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Water Treatment

Water softner issue

If you are stepping the unit to each part of the cleaning or regen cycle and each is working save for the brine refill, and it worked on pulling brine out of the salt tank/brine tank. I would say that there is some thing up with the brine float assembly, it is hanging in and the system thinks that there is enough water in the brine tank and no more water is going in to the tank.
Now if no water is either coming or going to the brine tank then the line is where I would look to see if it is plugged.

Advertisement