Looking for help, I have been contracted to help a large coastal condo complex solve a problem. They keep the water softner tanks and brine tank in a utility room that has electrical, generators and other machinery. They recently had a very costly accident when the brine tank overflowed and ate away the concrete which was structural. They are worried that in may happen again and they are worried about the salt fumes and whether it can damage the electrical and other machinery in this room.
Should the brine tank be in a waterproof basin with a auto pump? Should it be totaly sealed off in its own room (ventilated) seperate from the electrical and machinery? Are the fumes dangerous?
An overflowing brine tank is a fairly frequent thing but, not for those including a safety float controlled brine system in the tank. And salt water usually doesn't destroy cement with only one occurrence.
A brine tank with a correctly fitting lid isn't going to allow many 'fumes' out of it, if the lid is installed correctly.
Most brine tanks have an insert elbow fitting going out through the side of the tank allowing a line to be installed on it to take overflow to a floor drain. If theirs doesn't, they are easy to install and any water treatment dealer should have one or can easily get one.