Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #1

Share |

Water Softeners

My house was built in 2004 and I have owned it for 3 years. I was having trouble with the water softener not seeming to soften correctly. I had a plumber look at it to make sure the settings were right. I was told I needed a new softener because mine was not working and undersized. I looked at several stores for options. I currently have a Water Boss brand model 700. I went to my softener to look at the connections so I would be able to tell which one might work for me and possible ease for intallation. As I was studying my system I realized my present softener was installed backwards. What I mean is that where the softener says water inlet(where the water line from the well should go), it is hooked to the water going to the house and water heater. Where it says water out(where the softened water should go), this is where my line for the well is hooked in. Hence, backwards!!! Probably since the house was built. We also discovered that the bypass/service valve(arrow on top) was in the neutral position, halfway between the bypass/service marks. We further found that what was happening was that when we set the valve arrow to service and opened up the bathroom tub water, the valve actually moved immediately to the neutral postion. So, from what I understand, water to the house was a half and half mixture of hard and soft water. Does this sound correct? At this point we did switch the water connections so they are correct now. I have always had a problem with my dishwasher, on occasions, would leave white spots and residue on the clean dishes. Would this possibly be caused by the water softener issue? A main concern of mine is: Since the softener had always been working in reverse, has that ruined the softener? Is there something I need to do short of replacing the softener? Has damage been done? Can I just let it regenerate several times and it should be OK? I see from some postings a lot of concern for resin in the system. Is that a concern I should have???

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, rickglarson

rickglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Water Softeners

I would change the in and the out to the correct connections for starters.
Having the water flow correct most likely will correct the valve that is moving to the neutral position stop.
As for killing the softener? most likely not, as the boss has the resin in between to screens, an upper and lower..

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote