Water Softener Or Water Filter - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water softener or water filter

I need a replacement for my culligan water softener, house was a foreclosure and was not winterized and leaks water and black goo. So trying to figure out what my best option is, a new water softener or whole house filter? I was leaning towards the whole house filter, no salt and self cleaning. Was looking to remove iron from our water, stains the sink and shower, doesn't taste bad. Any help would be appreciated.

Eric

Advertisement

Ext290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

A water filter will do nothing to take out iron. I'd install a whole house filter then the water softner.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ext290 View Post
I need a replacement for my culligan water softener, house was a foreclosure and was not winterized and leaks water and black goo. So trying to figure out what my best option is, a new water softener or whole house filter? I was leaning towards the whole house filter, no salt and self cleaning. Was looking to remove iron from our water, stains the sink and shower, doesn't taste bad. Any help would be appreciated.

Eric
if you are trying to remove a certain amount of one element from your water ....imo I would have the water tested 1st to see just what it contains and what type of filtration is best for it....ben
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

You need to define what you want a water treatment system to do. As suggested above starting with an analysis of the water is necessary to define the issues and to get informed advice.

There are many different types of "whole house filters" and selection of the correct one(s) for your particular conditions can only be done with good data combined with your explanation of your objectives.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

sounds good, i'll get a water test kit tomorrow and see what it says.
Ext290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
that should help...imo you may want to have complete run down from independant testing lab ....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

If you have hard water, you need a softener. There is no feasible substitute for it. Softeners can have the resin formulated to remove a little extra iron and using red-out salt helps too - I'd try that out first before considering a special iron filter. Either way, you'll need a softener and will be stuck with feeding it salt.
Hates my roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:

As stated, a water test is the first step in determining exactly what type of water you're dealing with and exactly what your needs will be.

I'd like to add that you should go to an interdependent lab, not a pool place or water purification install company, to have your tests done. It may be a little more expensive (the one local to me charges between $50-300 depending on the type/level of testing requested) but they have no vested interest (no up-selling) other than receiving your payment for their testing services. If there's no independent lab in your area then try a local college/university or the local water authority.

Once you have the results then your free too do your research and get some quotes on the equipment you'll need.

Good luck.

Advertisement

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-26-2011)