DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Water Softener Troubleshooting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/water-softener-troubleshooting-177655/)

TJude 04-20-2013 03:35 PM

Water Softener Troubleshooting
 
I have one of those 6700 Downflow Brining models. It's 15 years old - last serviced 2 years ago. Our water is hard, so I just cleaned the Brine tank. Hope it helps. Wanted to ask some questions.

1) What is the Cycle Cam for? I turned it a bit and it spun around - took about 90 seconds. Nothing seemed to happen.

2) Is there supposed to be caps on both ends of the Fill Tube inside the Brine Tank? I think so, but want to ask.

3) My programming is this:
Water Hardness - 10 (What does this mean? PPM?)
System Capacity - 20 (What does this mean?)
Regeneration Time - 2am
Cycle Step 1 - Backwash - 10 (10 what? Minutes?)
Cycle Step 2 - Brine - 60
Cycle Step 3 - Rapid Rinse - 10
Cycle Step 4 - Fill - 12

4) My valve is supposed to have a flow meter. Why is there not a 'Flow' setting? Does this have something to do with the System Capacity number above? If so, what does 20 mean?

Thank you.

joecaption 04-20-2013 04:36 PM

http://addiewatersystems.com/6700%20...C%20MANUAL.pdf

TJude 04-20-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1163638)

Thanks, Joe. Much newer than the one I have. Answered some of the questions like Grains is the Hardness measure and minutes is the cycle measure. However, it still doesn't answer the other questions:

1) Why does the Cam Cycle spin around in 90-odd seconds when you manually twist it?

2) Why is there not a 'Flow' setting?

3) What does System Capacity Mean (This manual doesn't even seem to have a System Capacity description, so It's a bit different than my model, I guess)?

Still making progress. Cleaning was easy, and I found out where the Injector and Screen are. Haven't cleaned them, as I expect the Brine tank, which was gross, and fill line were the issues.

Any thoughts on those 3 questions?

jmon 04-20-2013 06:43 PM

Try this link. It may answer a copy more of your questions. I can't find anything about the cam cycle though.


link here

Akpsdvan 04-20-2013 06:49 PM

I would like to know Why your twisting the cam in the first place?
Doing so can either strip some teeth or break a shaft.
The cam that you are most likely talking about has two micro switches and by turning it makes the system look for home again.

TJude 04-21-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmon (Post 1163738)
Try this link. It may answer a copy more of your questions. I can't find anything about the cam cycle though.


link here

Sure does. So 20 means 20,000 grains. Since my hardness is set to 10 per gallon, then it must mean that my system regenerates every 2,000 gallons, which is about right!

It's all starting to come together. Really poor manual.

TJude 04-21-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akpsdvan (Post 1163743)
I would like to know Why your twisting the cam in the first place?
Doing so can either strip some teeth or break a shaft.
The cam that you are most likely talking about has two micro switches and by turning it makes the system look for home again.

I didn't really mean to. I was just rummaging around to try and figure out where to start. I certainly applied very little force. The thing almost jumped into gear by itself.

It was on the back of the unit, so it's obvious that it's not meant to be operated manually, but I had to ask, since the manual is not so good.

Have a clean brine tank, a cleaned filter, and a regen set for tonight. Will see how things look tomorrow.

Thanks.

Akpsdvan 04-21-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJude (Post 1163956)
I didn't really mean to. I was just rummaging around to try and figure out where to start. I certainly applied very little force. The thing almost jumped into gear by itself.

It was on the back of the unit, so it's obvious that it's not meant to be operated manually, but I had to ask, since the manual is not so good.

Have a clean brine tank, a cleaned filter, and a regen set for tonight. Will see how things look tomorrow.

Thanks.

The manual is very helpful as in it tells of problems and fixes.
It also has a break down of the parts for the system.

What page or pages of the manual are hard to understand?

Did you look up the full manual on the web?

Forgot to ask , what had you start working on the system?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved