Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Share |

Water softener suggestions

I am looking into a POE softener system for my new house. We're on city water, classified (by them) as "hard". I don't have the letter in hand they sent me with exact specifics, but its available. We have a lawn watering system as well.

Our water appliances are exhibiting Calcium deposits. My wife says she can taste the diff. between faucet and our refrigerator's filtered water, plus it is different to bath and wash clothes in.

How do I go about selecting from the various brands/types of softener systems? Do I take the water analysis to a store, and let them suggest a system? Should I tap off after the outdoor water & just do the house, vs. POE?

Any help is much appreciated.

SixStrRzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStrRzr View Post
I am looking into a POE softener system for my new house. We're on city water, classified (by them) as "hard". I don't have the letter in hand they sent me with exact specifics, but its available. We have a lawn watering system as well.

Our water appliances are exhibiting Calcium deposits. My wife says she can taste the diff. between faucet and our refrigerator's filtered water, plus it is different to bath and wash clothes in.

How do I go about selecting from the various brands/types of softener systems? Do I take the water analysis to a store, and let them suggest a system? Should I tap off after the outdoor water & just do the house, vs. POE?

Any help is much appreciated.
Find a local Pump and Filter guy and ask him. He will probably be able to test your water for you as well as recommend equipment to serve your needs. He will also install and service your equipment and be there to answer questions and solve problems in person. Installing a softener is not particularly difficult, but it does entail cutting into the water supply piping, cutting into the drain line and installing a properly vented trap and the work needs to be done to code and most localities do require a permit to install it. Buying online is a crap shoot. You can never really be sure of the dealer nor the support or lack thereof you may get. I have no problem buying some things online, but a filter is a complicated piece of equipment that requires a fair amount of skill and knowledge to install and properly set.
I too would recommend a Clack WS1 valve head but any of the Fleck series will also serve very well indeed and have been the industry standard for many years.

NHMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

I'd go with a softener. I refused to treat the muni water that we already paid high prices for in our last place and the fixtures, dishwasher, etc suffered with calcium deposits. I was told the total hardness was 15 compared with the 7 as it comes out of the ground in our own well in our new place. The softener in our new place, when it works, brings it down to zero.

I found that you can get water hardness test strips (I just ordered a package of 50 more on eBay for 14 bucks). You dip them in water, wait 15 seconds and then compare it with the colors on the package.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #4

I most definitely intent to have this done by a pro - no DIY/ online purchase here. Thanks for the code/permit headsup - will have to check in on this.

Been here 3 months, moved in, the next week it got cold/rainy & the neighborhood went into hibernation, so I haven't had a chance to talk to neighbors to see what they've done.

Although I did notice the next door lady unloading 2 flats of Costco drinking water....
Old 01-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Water quality'n pump guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStrRzr View Post
I most definitely intent to have this done by a pro - no DIY/ online purchase here.
Then you call around town and talk to salesmen and eventually decide what local dealer you want to become dependent on and live with what ever softener that dealer is selling.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #6

I installed a system six years ago, from Ohiopurewaterco.com. I had HARD well water, free iron, etc. I have been very satisfied with system, tech help & service. Although I installed myself, a friend bought same system & had local plumber install.
NCWGNMKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #7

OP here...I am just exploring my options to soften the water in my house, to make my wife happy (#1 on my list, believe you me).

I may have been off-base by my knee-jerk statement about "no online/DIY" approach. Heck, I'm an engineer in heavy construction business, I ought to be able to pipe up/mount a system. I'm not scared of programming logic, either.

You guys have been great, and have opened my eyes to many more options since my original post.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Licensed Master Plumber

If the supply pipes are copper, how is it that you don't have to solder anything? Are you going to suggest sharkbites at 8 bucks a piece, or perhaps compression couplings that leak. How about the bypass set up or perhaps he should do away with that. Oh and let's not forget draining down the water system so that he can solder. Then there is getting power to the unit. A dedicated 15amp outlet is recommended though I suppose he could string an extension cord across the basement. Oh almost forgot the drain. Could drill a hole through the sill and let it drain on the geraniums but that really pisses the wife off when you kill her flowers. So let's find a properly vented trap to properly indirect the waste into. Bet there ain't one of those in the basement either though I suppose he could stuff it in along side the washing machine even though doing so is illegal. Let's not forget the tools he will need to buy. Torch, pipe cutter, pipe wrench ect.
Installing a filter is not Geico simple. A caveman can not do it. Even experienced professionals will most likely take the better part of a day to do the job to code and neatly. Try leaving the water disconnected over night and see how happy the family is.

Let keep the replies from being personal.

There are millions of do-able DIY projects but without plumbing experience, installing a whole house filter ain't one of them.

Last edited by beenthere; 02-04-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Removed personal
NHMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMaster View Post
If the supply pipes are copper, how is it that you don't have to solder anything? Are you going to suggest sharkbites at 8 bucks a piece, or perhaps compression couplings that leak. How about the bypass set up or perhaps he should do away with that. Oh and let's not forget draining down the water system so that he can solder. Then there is getting power to the unit. A dedicated 15amp outlet is recommended though I suppose he could string an extension cord across the basement. Oh almost forgot the drain. Could drill a hole through the sill and let it drain on the geraniums but that really pisses the wife off when you kill her flowers. So let's find a properly vented trap to properly indirect the waste into. Bet there ain't one of those in the basement either though I suppose he could stuff it in along side the washing machine even though doing so is illegal. Let's not forget the tools he will need to buy. Torch, pipe cutter, pipe wrench ect.
Installing a filter is not Geico simple. A caveman can not do it. Even experienced professionals will most likely take the better part of a day to do the job to code and neatly. Try leaving the water disconnected over night and see how happy the family is.

Let keep the replies from being personal.

There are millions of do-able DIY projects but without plumbing experience, installing a whole house filter ain't one of them.
Not all DIYers are capable of doing many projects. But many are capable of many different ones.

If a DIYer has a question on what tools he needs. Or you think he is getting in over his/her head. Point out what he/she needs, and why you think its beyond them

But take the personal stuff elsewhere.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote