Water Softener Stuck On Regeneration Cycle - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Water softener stuck on regeneration cycle

Model: Kinetico Mach 2040s

I found some documents online that indicate how to push the cycles forward using a phillips head, pushing down on the dial, and then moving the indicator to the desired position. The issue I'm having is that I can freely spin the dial without any impact to cycles without having to push down. Note that I do have the ability to push the screw down but it has no impact, the dial just moves without stopping.

The issue is that it constantly is trying to regenerate and this is drawing water without stopping. I have a shut-off valve and have taken the softener out of the loop but not sure what parts are needed for a fix or how to repair this thing. I'm assuming I need some sort of pre-filter to swap out but I cannot find any manuals detailing the process for repair. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

PDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Rebuild time from a dealer that is either in your area or some one on one of the forums.

The plastic link between the disc and the inner part most likely is broken.

Now you are turning is clockwize slowly?

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

It does not matter if I turn fast or slow, it never catches, just spins freely in either direction. If it's a rebuild, can't I just get the parts required? There isn't a whole lot to this thing but without a Chilton's for the Kinetico I'm not sure what all I need.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Water Treatment

You can only get the parts from a dealer for starts and then there might be just one part broken or there may be more than just the one.
There are a number of small plastic parts inside the valve head.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #5

I was afraid someone was going to say that parts are available only through a dealer.

Looks like I'll just disassemble and see if anything plastic looks wrong.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Water Treatment

There are some other forums that have a few people that might sell a part or two, the parts that I have are years old... going back into the 90's and there have been a few changes.
Posting photos of what looks to be broken parts will help.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #7

Found a couple great instructional videos on YouTube. One of which went through the removal/inspection process of Level1(?) for regeneration issues. I ended up disassembling part of the timer portion on top that controls the cycles. No issues found there, but when I was finished putting it back together, I was finally able to push down on the central screw and move the tab around hearing the clicks engage.

I then inspected the main portion of the water softener that feeds the tanks through the various parts/levels. The gears moved fine and I could not find any broken pieces. However, I did find a couple obstructions that may have caused the gears to stick in place. After removing those pieces and putting everything back together, I'm happy to say that it is functioning normal again both during a manual invocation of cycles and after the water demand invocation.

Akpsdvan - Thanks for the tips. I had not thought about posting pics of any broken pieces but that is a good idea.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Water Treatment

Good to hear that you worked through the valve and found a challenge or two and have it back together working.

Advertisement