Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #1

Share |

Water Softener Stagnant!! Help!!

Our softener started cycling too much about 2 months ago. It needed new pellets which I added, without knowing there was a line showing where to stop. I filled it to the top, uh-oh. It cycled like nuts. When it got lower a couple of weeks later, the water was yellow. I checked the level of the pellets yesterday and found that the water is stagnant!! What do I do?

williamsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Water quality'n pump guy

Cycling too much...

I take that to mean it was regenerating more frequently than it had in the past but, the salt level in the salt tank has nothing to do with how frequently a softener regenerates. You may have a water leak and running more water through the softener than previously and that will cause it to regenerate more frequently.

So you need to find the reason why it is regenerating so much. And letting the softener run out of salt is a bad thing.

What brand softener or control valve do you have?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #3

Just how bad is it that the salt ran out? I have since added three bags. When I poured them in this really dark stuff swished around. Algae maybe? The company's is Jason ? out of Temple, Tx. It's who our plumbing company recommended. I am unable to find the manuals that came with it.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsl View Post
Just how bad is it that the salt ran out? I have since added three bags. When I poured them in this really dark stuff swished around. Algae maybe? The company's is Jason ? out of Temple, Tx. It's who our plumbing company recommended. I am unable to find the manuals that came with it.

Your title "stagnant" implies that the softener has sat unsused for long periods of time. But your description connotes the opposite: that it is continuously going.

Jason, I believe, uses mixed media in their tanks. That is they mix resins with carbon or some kind of filter media. They feel this sets them apart fom the competition. This can be a benefit initially but may cause problems later on. Can you tell us more about your source water quality? Hardness? iron? TDS? any other problems like odors?

Your brine tank may be filled with untreated water or low quality salt causing it to become dirty and discolored. That can be dumped and cleaned out. Use a high quality of salt.

You should make sure if it is a timer system or a demand (metered) system. There are many factors that can cause those symptoms and a service call may be needed.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #5

Yeah, as soon as I filled it and saw the water move I realized it wasn't stagnant. It's been in use since we got it about 2.5 yrs. ago. I'm sure you're right about the cycling. We have very hard water here. To try to save money, we bought the grocery store brand. Never again. I read your post to my husband, he went to the garage right away. I feel sure this will work. Good thing we have lots of icechests. I told my husband we're going to have to go to the coast to dump all of it.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Water quality'n pump guy

The type of salt, what it costs, how much is put in the tank, if the water in teh salt tank is dirty... none of that has anything to do with the softener regenerating too frequently.

Throwing three bags of salt away is dumb.