Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Share |

Water Softener shooting water.

My wife and i have a Kenmore deluxe demand water softener model #625.348571. Last night we returned home and it was shooting water in our laundry room where the plumbing hooks up to the bypass installation valves. I shut the valve bypassing the softener and the spraying stopped. This morning I opened the valve and theres no leaking at all now. I know nothing about water softeners and I'm curious if they go through different cycles where there would be more pressure at the bypass valve to make this happen at certain times but not other times? Any help would be appreciated here. I'm assuming shutting the water off, disconnecting the softener from the existing plumbing and replacing some seals may be the easiset fix. Thanks for your time!

morgan7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Water quality'n pump guy

Unless the leak only happens when the softener is in a regeneration, it sounds as if you are on city water and the pressure increases when your water heater comes on or the city was sending too much pressure. If you have an expansion tank at the water heater it may be bad or... Or your pressure regulating valve is not working right or you don't have one and need one.

Exactly where on the softener was it leaking?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Licensed Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan7c View Post
My wife and i have a Kenmore deluxe demand water softener model #625.348571. Last night we returned home and it was shooting water in our laundry room where the plumbing hooks up to the bypass installation valves. I shut the valve bypassing the softener and the spraying stopped. This morning I opened the valve and theres no leaking at all now. I know nothing about water softeners and I'm curious if they go through different cycles where there would be more pressure at the bypass valve to make this happen at certain times but not other times? Any help would be appreciated here. I'm assuming shutting the water off, disconnecting the softener from the existing plumbing and replacing some seals may be the easiset fix. Thanks for your time!
Is it coming out from the plastic unions where the pipe attaches to the back of the unit?

Here is a link to Kenmore's troubleshooting but I doubt it will have anything useful.

http://www.kenmorewater.com/website/.../ts_index.html
NHMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #4

Well this sounds serious my best advice would be to get Gary, Master, myself and of coarse yourself in the same room lets say someplace in Mexico so we can discuss your options. Sooner would be better than later, something tells me Gary and master will agree with my recomendation .

What is the age of the unit ?
arcticbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Licensed Master Plumber

The Mexican Government won't let me cross the boarder anymore
Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #6

It is possible that the drain hose has gotten a hole in it. It has happened to mine before.

paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote