Water Softener, Replace, Or Replace Beads? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 87
Question

water softener, replace, or replace beads?

I have an older 70's style water canister looking guy, with an external salt tank.

The water pressure is horrible throughout the house when it is in the loop, so I bypass it currently, but everything is just getting chalky and mineraly! I was thinking, would it be cheaper for me to replace the beads, or the entire unit with something new?

The key thing here is to keep the water pressure!

Advertisement

vivithemage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 608

If it's that old I'd replace it.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #3

replace it just because its old, or because i'll probably never achieve decent water pressure even if I replace the resin/beads?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
replace it just because its old, or because i'll probably never achieve decent water pressure even if I replace the resin/beads?
Replace it because it's old, outdated, inefficient technology. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. If something fails, you might not be able to get parts.

To each his own, but I don't believe anything related to my family's health is a DIY job. Though I have a lot of experience with water treatment and purification systems (primarily military), I don't mess with the unit in my home.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Replace it because it's old, outdated, inefficient technology. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. If something fails, you might not be able to get parts.

To each his own, but I don't believe anything related to my family's health is a DIY job. Though I have a lot of experience with water treatment and purification systems (primarily military), I don't mess with the unit in my home.
I have zero experience and have the same belief on anything health/code related, and i'd LOVE to switch to a one unit system, as this thing takes up space being separate.

Any advice on decent high flow systems? I have a buddy who has a culligan, and said his water flow is pretty bad after he had it installed.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #6

My current unit is a Culligan, about four years old. Not sure what you mean by a "high flow system." My house is a typical 2-bedroom, 2-bath home, and I noticed no difference in flow to anything after installing the softener.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

Another vote for replacement as well.

I don't want to further the throw it out mentality of this country (that doesn't need any help) but I think it is safe to say you got your mileage out of it.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #8

Quote:
My current unit is a Culligan, about four years old. Not sure what you mean by a "high flow system." My house is a typical 2-bedroom, 2-bath home, and I noticed no difference in flow to anything after installing the softener.
I have only lived here a few months, just looking at things to replace now. I say high flow, as in I can use 2-3 faucts at once and not have the pressure disappear!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
I have only lived here a few months, just looking at things to replace now. I say high flow, as in I can use 2-3 faucts at once and not have the pressure disappear!
Well, how big is your house, and how old? Using three faucets at once would be all the ones my house has; I've never tried it as there are only two of us.

I would assume, if your house is relatively new, that the plumbing would have been appropriately designed to accommodate the fixtures you have. If it's older, possibly with galvanized piping, nothing but total replacement will fix a pressure problem.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 780

You on municiple water or a well? What size pipe feeds your house? What is the pressure? There may be other issues at play beyond the softner.
plummen (02-06-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Well, how big is your house, and how old? Using three faucets at once would be all the ones my house has; I've never tried it as there are only two of us.

I would assume, if your house is relatively new, that the plumbing would have been appropriately designed to accommodate the fixtures you have. If it's older, possibly with galvanized piping, nothing but total replacement will fix a pressure problem.
Nothing fancy, 3br, 2ba. It does have copper piping luckily.

but a more common occurrence .. washer and shower at once kills pressure. Or faucet + shower kills it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
You on municiple water or a well? What size pipe feeds your house? What is the pressure? There may be other issues at play beyond the softner.
municipal. I would agree that someone else is the problem, but water pressure is great when we bypass the current water softener. For fun I tried 2 faucets, dishwasher, washer, and shower and pressure was great all around.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 564

It's probably best to replace it. Keep in mind that you need to clean the salt tank periodically. A one unit softener makes the task difficult.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
It's probably best to replace it. Keep in mind that you need to clean the salt tank periodically. A one unit softener makes the task difficult.
Makes sense. Any brand recommendations?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 564

I have a Culligan mark 100. Been trouble free for 12 years. Only bad thing is parts are proprietary so you have to get them from Culligan. Some parts can be found on eBay. Fleck seems to be a popular brand and can be DIY installed.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #15

Are any of the salt free solutions any good?

Advertisement