Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Share |

Water Softener Removel

Hey,
First time poster. Some great info on here.
I want to remove an old water softener as it has a slow leak and our water is now treated so no longer needed.
By looking at it, I see it as simple as eliminating the softener plumbing and then just running a straight piece of copper in its place to fill the void. But I know nothing is that simple....maybe.
There are bypass valves on top of the softener and also on the piping but when I turn them "OFF" water comes out of the pressure valve that can be seen in 'pics 3 and 4' (mason jar hanging from it)
There is a piping that runs from the softener along the floor and into our floor drain?? What is this for? Can it be eliminated as well or will i have to tie it into something else if it serves and actual purpose.
I have attached pictures.
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Water Softener Removel-softener1.jpg   Water Softener Removel-softener2.jpg   Water Softener Removel-softener3.jpg   Water Softener Removel-softener4.jpg  

joeymarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

Water Softener Removel

Remove softener piping as you stated but, leave one valve in as a shut off which you could use in future. Not sure why relief valve is where it is or why it's there at all. Should be one on hot water tank and there may be one one cold line/main water supply to meet local codes. It is likely leaking only because the main supply pressure exceeds the design pressure of the relief valve OR the relief valve has been popped several time before allowing dirt/corrosion to build up in seat so, therefore it doesn't close properly. If required by code then replace it. Not worth trying to fix. Check tag tlo see set pressure and see if compatible with supply water temp. Your supply pressure may have been increased.

The line going to drain appears to be bacxk flush discharge from softener so, no longer required.

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to techpappy For This Useful Post:
joeymarks (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #3

Water Softener Removel

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy View Post
Remove softener piping as you stated but, leave one valve in as a shut off which you could use in future. Not sure why relief valve is where it is or why it's there at all. Should be one on hot water tank and there may be one one cold line/main water supply to meet local codes. It is likely leaking only because the main supply pressure exceeds the design pressure of the relief valve OR the relief valve has been popped several time before allowing dirt/corrosion to build up in seat so, therefore it doesn't close properly. If required by code then replace it. Not worth trying to fix. Check tag tlo see set pressure and see if compatible with supply water temp. Your supply pressure may have been increased.

The line going to drain appears to be bacxk flush discharge from softener so, no longer required.
Thanks for the help!
What about the line running into the floor drain?
Can I eliminate it as well?
joeymarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #4

Water Softener Removel

As I said ..it appears the line going into the floor is from the softener (couldn't tell completely from pics) which you are removing therefore you can also remove the line to the drain.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to techpappy For This Useful Post:
joeymarks (10-17-2012)