Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Water Softener Questions

Hello,

I will be purchasing a Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 grain capacity water softener. However, before I order, I've got a few questions:

1)What place do you guys think is the best place to order from? I've been recommended qualitywatertreatment.com, ohiopurewater.com, and qualitywaterforless.com. They're all within the same amount of money, and they all seem to be pretty good.

2)I can use this for a bypass valve, there is no need for another one, correct? http://i.imgur.com/9vhiQnZ.jpg

3)This drain is ok for the drain and overflow lines, right? http://i.imgur.com/CSXWX3b.jpg

4)Since my valves are not threaded, and I donít know how to solder, I can just use sharkbite fittings, right?

5)Is it very difficult to assemble and install the water softener?

6)Iíd appreciate any tips you may have (what materials the lines should be made out of, precautions to take, stuff like that)!

Thank you guys SO much!

amateurplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

Water Softener Questions

You are definately going to want to change those valves to ball valves. Its hard to tell but they look like globe valves which restrict flow pretty significantly.

I would not depend of a floor drain for backwash. Send it to a laundry sink or your sump pit.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #3

Water Softener Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
You are definately going to want to change those valves to ball valves. Its hard to tell but they look like globe valves which restrict flow pretty significantly.

I would not depend of a floor drain for backwash. Send it to a laundry sink or your sump pit.
I have been told that these are gate valves. Here is an image of what it looks like on the inside. Does that make a difference?

We've never used that drain (been sitting there for 27 years, lol). If you say not to use it, I wont. Any reason not to depend on it? Seems like the people who built this house put it in specifically for that purpose.

Last edited by amateurplumber; 03-11-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #4

Water Softener Questions

The only thing i dont understand is the bypass valve on the wall, that i'll be dismantling into 2 pipes and hooking up to the softeners bypass valve. What the hell is it? As a I understand it, a bypass valve should look like this: http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._PLUMBW_01.JPG

Mine looks like this: http://imgur.com/a/m7u3X

Anyone care to try to explain it to me? Sorry that I have the plumbing knowledge of a 10 year old.

As always, thanks again!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Water Softener Questions

This is what my bypass looks like. It came with the softener. The red/blue knobs push in to allow water to flow to the softener or around it.

Water Softener Questions-image-2216669413.jpg
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 22

Water Softener Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurplumber View Post
I have been told that these are gate valves. Here is an image of what it looks like on the inside. Does that make a difference?
Yes, those are gate valves. No, it does not make a difference, they still should be replaced with ball valves.
chemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #7

Water Softener Questions

Haha, I have gathered as much. Apparently no one likes gate valves. Dunno why they used them. Anyone have any advice about the bypass valve system I have set up? I just dont understand it, it seems more complicated than a regular bypass valve. I plan on removing the bypass on those pipes and using the bypass on the water softener (I have no idea what connection the bypass accepts, though).
Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Water Treatment

Water Softener Questions

Gate valves where good in the time, but because of how the gate move up and down and if there is Iron and or sand in the water that will build up and either hold the gate down or up or just break.
Then there is the turning of the wheel handle, just the other day while helping a widow of a close friend I had to just a pair of channel lock pliers and will lots of caution moved the gates down to do the work.
How much is the shipping going to be for the shipping of your system?
Is it the right one for your water?
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #9

Water Softener Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurplumber
Haha, I have gathered as much. Apparently no one likes gate valves. Dunno why they used them. Anyone have any advice about the bypass valve system I have set up? I just dont understand it, it seems more complicated than a regular bypass valve. I plan on removing the bypass on those pipes and using the bypass on the water softener (I have no idea what connection the bypass accepts, though).
It will be 1 inch or 3/4 threaded. You specify it when you order it.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #10

Water Softener Questions

You could cut out the current bypass and skip adding valves. Run the inlet and outlet directly into the new bypass on the softener.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
kan

Water Softener Questions

nobody comment on where to buy?
kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #12

Water Softener Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
You could cut out the current bypass and skip adding valves. Run the inlet and outlet directly into the new bypass on the softener.
Question: if I don't also have a separate bypass, and I have to repair my softener for whatever reason, can I disconnect the valve mounted bypass, have my house's water running (albeit unsoftened), and repair the softener at my leisure? Basically, I just want to know if it's attached to the softener itself and is one piece or if it's removable in case of a needed repair.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #13

Water Softener Questions

Quote:
You set up for bypass valves is just fine. However, replace your gate valves w/ ball valves as EVERYONE has stated.
netdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #14

Water Softener Questions

Quote:
Question: if I don't also have a separate bypass, and I have to repair my softener for whatever reason, can I disconnect the valve mounted bypass, have my house's water running (albeit unsoftened), and repair the softener at my leisure? Basically, I just want to know if it's attached to the softener itself and is one piece or if it's removable in case of a needed repair.
You can repair/remove the "stuff" (timer, flow meter, etc.) on top of the softener without disconnecting the pipes. The only time you would need to remove it from the plumbing would be to replace the tank resin. The timer screws onto the tank.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
Water Treatment

Water Softener Questions

If the softener has a bypass like most of the fleck valves do there would be no need for the other bypass with in the copper.
The only and I mean the only reason would be to repair the bypass valve its self.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote